1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cleaning valves and pistons

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, Oct 22, 2018.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I've got the vaves and pistons out of an xj650 and there is lots of carbon build up. Is there a solvent, cleaning solution, etc. that I can soak them in to soften it up ? Anything to avoid having to scrub forever with a wire brush.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

50% Automatic Transmission fluid, 50% Acetone. Soak overnight and brass brush the next day. Repeat if needed.

There's other stuff that works too, but it costs more.

3. joejr2

Thanks, I have both items on hand

4. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

Are you planning on replacing your rings ? Im at the same place as you with my 750.

5. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

I saw a video on utube where the guy had some valves for a small displacement race car and he spun them with a drill using scotch rite pads to clean them. They came out looking like new. Look it up on line to get the details

6. murray9982

murray9982 New Member

If you've got everything apart , you may as well re ring it after checking bore wear specs and honeing . Better lapping the valves properly , especially if any pitting on the valve face , which there is bound to be . This process will alter valve clearances , so need to reset these , and will need top end gasket set if you don't already have one , not a small job really, but if done properly worth it , cheers

7. joejr2

Soak those crusted valves in atf/acetone 50/50 overnight. Also, coat liberally the combustion chambers, valve seats and intake/ exhaust ports with same stuff.
    Chuck the valve stems into a drill and spin them against rough and then finer scotch pads. Stay off the rim of the valve that contacts the seat. It takes about ten
    minutes to shine up each valve. The chambers and ports can be cleaned up with those tooth brush sized wire brushes, the same scotch pads you just used on the valves
    and some rags. The smoother the chambers and ports are, the better they function. Keep the brushes and pads from touching the valve seats. Now the heads are cleaned up
    and ready to lap the valves.