1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700XS Maxim reproduction parts

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xxxKuTxxx, Oct 28, 2018.

1. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Hi there. I am surfing internet pretty often in search for parts for my bike since it is 32 year old and some parts have to be replaced from time to time. The problem is that most parts I find are overpriced OEM "new old stock", which in my understanding are almost equally old parts, just that they haven't been @ work. I like to keep my repairs low budget, but $50 for one throttle slide diaphragm and $56 plug cap assy (x4 as there are four of these) is just not it. So I wonder if there is any site or possibility of availability of reproduction parts/substitutes that will do the job for lower price? I know people run into those and buy them out of necessity, and the market is constantly changing - would be nice to hear and see about finds in 2018. For instance, instead of rebuilding shocks or buying new OEM front springs I would buy these
    https://www.progressivesuspension.com/products/3191/1986/yamaha/xj700x-maxim
    So everything from radiator replacement with newer model to carb rebuild kits that fit is much appreciated. I ride some thousands miles from home on it so I will be willing to spend a lot of effort to improve the bike's reliability.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Go to the top right corner of the home page of the site click on xj4ever, chacal has most parts for these bikes. Yes you might be in for sticker shock ,but his service is great and parts are correct . Sometimes when you find a part on eBay it might be correct or not at all. Face it some parts are getting more difficult to find , hence why prices are higher.

3. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

Yes, that's true. Parts are getting hard to find and it won't get easier for owners of rare bikes like Maxim X, so I plan to modify the bike to make it less pain in the arse when something fails. Steel braided brake hoses instead of OEM, vented brake disks, antigravity battery to make room for spare parts on long rides, I plan to modify rear end to make bike more practical and maybe change rear disk to have better choice of tyres. The most often mods I see is bobber style, but these are as unpractical as it gets.

4. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

I can’t understand why the parts are so much more expensive from this XJ forever compared to restoring a GS or GPZ or the like. They all come from Japan why should there be a fifty to a hundred percent markup for Yamaha? I’ve restored a few Japanese bikes but this is my first Seca. Luckily it doesn’t need anything this guy sells. Definitely not in line with true worth.

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Other than buying aftermarket plug caps from NGK at6-10 bucks, or maybe a cheap muffler or grips from EMGO if needed, anything important I try to get OEM or equivalent, which can be hard to find in Chineese aftermarket that is any good.
    I bought parts from XJforever, quality and fitment is second to none. Customer service was excellent. I rather pay more once and be happy, than less twice and still be pissed off.... Just saying ;)

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. Richard Elbon

You have missed the issue. Other resellers I have dealt with provide the same service and quality of parts. I have no problem with that at all. When I see an emblem, for example, on a Seca for $120 and the same general size emblem for a GS Suzuki or CB Honda for $20-$40 I’ve got to ask why? Supply and demand? These are repro and can be produced in mass quantities. I have always had excellent results with offshore repros whether for my 52Ford F1 or the Suzuki’s I’ve done. Regardless this last Seca 750 I just bought is complete so I won’t have to buy anything from a price gouger.

7. Jetfixer

Sorry you feel you are being "gouged" but xj4ever is a valuable source , I have bought from sellers on eBay before on several bikes and got ripped off. Part was wrong or quality was non existent . Buy the best cry once is best moto .

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

1983 SUZUKI GS650GL
    https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/p/suzuki/13500-45110/-diaphragm
    https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/p/suzuki/31800-37020/relay-starting-motor
    now find me some '82 Kawasaki parts
    mass quantities from China start at about 10,000 pieces, if you get some i'll take 2
    is a Apple iPhone Xs worth 1000 $

Tim O likes this.
  9. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Re: XJ4Ever. No fancy website. No easily searchable data base. No shopping cart. 1st quality customer service and 1st quality parts. If it costs more, it's because it's worth it!

Do a Google search for complaints about the big box aftermarket parts suppliers. I rest my case.

10. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I look at XJ Forever as a +10% to +15% source for things I can sometimes get elsewhere. But if I need it now and have to know it's the right fitment, then the upcharge is worth it and Chacal is invaluable.

I have picked up some real scores on ebay though... like a brand new "NOS" rear turn complete with bulb for $20.
    I am noticing right now though, that all ebay prices are like 4x what I'm used to seeing for Seca parts, don't know what gives...

Here's a good example, I've been looking for this spring forever and closest I can get is a whole caliper from ebay that may or may not have it. Over the winter I'll get frustrated and buy it from Chacal and be glad I can always fall back on that.
    upload_2018-11-7_13-50-11.png

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  11. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Light, inexpensive, strong.... pick two.

12. Richard Elbon

Maybe. When I’m done with the Seca it will probably be a keeper. Doesn’t need any body or hard parts. Maybe carb kits ,brake hoses and pads things like that. Thankfully all the body and emblems are mint.

13. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

If you're going to use the bike, stuff happens. Sometimes our precious metal gets damaged in the garage. When the inevitable happens, it's good to have a place to get replacements.

14. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

If you think emblems are expensive, try to buy "5 valve" carb emblem for Maxim X. I've seen two in poor shape got sold for $180 @ Ebay auction. That's crazy for no-function-whatsoever piece of plastic

15. xxxKuTxxx

xxxKuTxxx Member

My bike was running great so I thought I won't need any parts either. But now it won't start from electric start, but if I push it in 2nd gear it starts. So I don't know if it's electric (battery is new, grounding seems to be good), or if starter won't spin the engine fast enough, may be starter gears, whatever it is I hope it won't be expensive. I love Maxim X, the fact I can ride 32 year old bike all day lone and get chills from cornering and acceleration alone warms my soul hehe

chacal likes this.
  16. Jetfixer

Try jumping the start solenoid , it it cranks this way , replace solenoid. They are cheap and are usual cause of not cranking .

17. Richard Elbon

I’m getting another 1982Seca 750 this weekend that maybe a rehab project,maybe part out. Figure that out on Sunday. 100% complete. More info later if I part it. 34,000 miles,very good barn find.

18. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Note on the solenoid:
    go to an ATV repair shop, get an aftermarket universal solenoid that fits Yamaha Big Bear some Moto 4 and most Kodaiak 87-95, the one that fits the most models will fit the bike and plug in, the wire will just be longer. They sell here for around $30 CAN
    I sell em at my shop.
    I can get exact model reference for purchase or a part #If you needed :)