1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cold start xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Craig middlemore, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Craig middlemore

Craig middlemore Member

Strange one . My xj550 doesn't like to start when cold. Once she's started its great . If I leave my little heater next to the engine for an hour in my garage she will start no problem .
    Any ideas

Mullen likes this.
  2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Have you checked the cold starting jets in the carburettor float bowls? If the fuel air mix is not getting enriched the bike will not start when cold. Heating the motor will help it to start if the enrichment circuit is blocked I believe. When the choke is on the fuel travels through the jet in the float bowls into the brass tube in each carburettor and exits in the intake side of the carburettors between the carb body and the inlet stubs on the engine for starting the engine from cold.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

The bike is telling you it is too cold to ride.

Jetfixer and Polock like this.
  4. raskal

raskal Active Member

could a weak battery cause the tci not to fire, but fires when its warmer cause electrons love heat

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. Craig middlemore

Craig middlemore Member

Battery is fine mate and Franz yeah that could be an option. I've tryed doing the work myself but I think it's time to just bite the bullet and take it to a garage and let them do there magic

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

try setting the petcock to prime for 5 seconds and if that does not help pull the headlight fuse so it does not come on when trying to start bike.

always the option of spraying a little starting fluid inro the air box.

do a voltage drop test on the battery it may not be as good as you think

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I bought my xj550 brand new and even then it was a hard start in cold (<40 f). They tuned it to run lean. As mentioned, set to prime for 5 sec to make sure bowls full, then use enrichment (choke). It needs a real good battery when cold.

8. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

image.jpeg Guaranteed your choke circuit is plugged... Common missed spot.
    This passage has a tiny jet in it like .010" or 10 thou, it cant be removed and must be cleaned from the top passage with either a tiny tip cleaner or like 2 or 3 strands if copper speaker wire twisted together.... Its a pain in the ass to find the center and actually unpulg it, clean untill carb cleaner can be squirted in the top and comes out the bottom.
    Hope this helps :)

Franz likes this.
  9. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

By the way, wherever i got this picture... Someone used something way too aggressive to clean the mating surface if this float bowl.... :(

10. Craig middlemore

Craig middlemore Member

The battery is only 3 month old however it has been flat afew times whilst getting the bike up and running . I've done the choke circuit last time I stripped the carbs. Possible the pilot screws need another 1/2 turn and prime before I start. Will try it tonight

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

You might consider a 1/4 turn or less to start. Mine went from running fairly lean to rich in 1/2 turn. I use dime "width" turns when adjusting, drive awhile, check plugs again.

Increasing richness slightly from stock did help my cold start.

12. Craig middlemore

Craig middlemore Member

Well I've just turned to prime for 10 seconds and she fired up . Sounded abit groggy and wouldn't idle with full choke on but it's a start. Once she's running she's fine so do you think I should give them a 1/4 turn then and see how I get on . Could save me £150 this as I was gonna take it the garage to be done

13. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

On a cooler day mine needs to warm up for a minute before I drive off or it will sputter and stall.

14. Craig middlemore

Craig middlemore Member

Tbh it's expected I suppose with such an old bike. Wouldn't change it for the world thow I love my baby