1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Was left stranded, XJ750 Seca no power to anything need help.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joeoeo, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Hey guys new-ish to the forums and in need of some divine intervention. I recently purchased a 1982 xj750 seca for $1100 running and driving (my first bike ever), I've cleaned her up and did some regular maintenance and everything was working. All lcd warnings were taken care of and she was running 100% I rode a couple days then when I was low on gas headed over to my local non-ethanol pump. I turned the key to off filled up and turned the key to the on position and nothing she left me stranded. I have brake lights, license plate light, instrument cluster illumination lights and nothing else no starter no neutral light no lcd warnings, nothing. Normally I would hear something click when messing with the kill switch but nothing now. Shes dead Jim.

Things I've Checked
    -All fuses are good tested with multimeter, although one of the wires doesnt show any voltage all others have juice. (fuse box was removed by last owner and replaced with inline fuse holders also not labeled)
    -Battery is charged and even tried a brand new one, no change.
    -Yes the kill switch is in the run position.
    -Jumped the little solenoid connected to the positive terminal and the starter runs but wont start (my guess is no spark)
    -Ground connected to battery and engine seems like a good connection.
    -Replaced the positive cable with the solenoid attached no change.
    -Doing a once over on everything nothing appears burned or damaged
    -Push starting was a no go

So, yeah what could cause such a massive loss to power? Main fuse it good when I remove that I lose all other lights. Electrical is such a pain especially for someone new to the motorcycle world. I'm hoping its something easy to repair that I can do, we have a local shop that works on motorcycles but i'll use them as a last resort.

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Hey Joeoeo,
    Your profile indicates you are in North Carolina, where in NC are you? There are several of us local to the Raleigh area that can help. It sounds like you might have a lead on the issue with the no power on the one wire.
    John

3. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Im in the black mountain / swannanoa area. Raleigh is a bit of a drive lol

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds like the fuse showing no voltage it the ignition fuse.
    start be iding your fuses 30 amp main 10 amp headlight 10 amp signals 10 amp ignition and a 5 amp fuse in the headlight bucket.
    main fuse should be a 30 amp fuse the main fuse when pulled out will always have a hot side as it comes directly from battery.
    the main fuse feeds the key switch.
    when you turn on the key the key switch feeds the other fuses.

does your headlight come on when you turn on the key?
    if it does then pull fuses untill it goes out label it headlight fuse.

do your directionals work?
    if they work pull the other fuses untill they stop working , label that fuse signal fuse

that will leave you with the ignition fuse

this sounds like it may be a sidestand switch problem. when bike is in neutral you should hear 2 clicks the side stand relay and the starter safety relay

find the sidestand relay and remove it it should have a blue mark on it
    Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): frame bracket outbound of LH frame tube, just behind the left side ignition coil.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    TheCrazyGnat and Chitwood like this.
  5. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

No power to headlight until she runs from what I remember when the bike was up and running, same with turn signals. only have brake running light license plate and cluster illumination. stepping on the brakes wont even turn on the other brake filament.

6. XJ550H

you said you had a fuse , although one of the wires doesnt show any voltage all others have juice.

you have a headlight relay if you use the solenoid to turn bike over the head light should come on.

you may have missed this edit
    this sounds like it may be a sidestand switch problem. when bike is in neutral you should hear 2 clicks the side stand relay and the starter safety relay

find the sidestand relay and remove it it should have a blue mark on it
    Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): frame bracket outbound of LH frame tube, just behind the left side ignition coil.

you need to fix the fuse with voltage only on one side bad fuse or fuse holder

7. XJ550H

pull sidestand relay turn key on bike in neutral and see if you have 12 volts at the tci red/white wire. this is feed from ignition fuse to kill/run switch.
    it is also what powers the starter safety relay.

8. XJ550H

all above lights not working is run from signal fuse

running light plate lightcluster light run from main fuse directly from key switch.

your key switch has 5 wires 1 wire is from main fuse then when you turn on the key a blue wire turns on plate light tail light . there is a 5 amp fuse in headlight bucket that does cluster lights. there is a brown wire that feeds the remaing fuses

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

ok cool so when I get home from work ill try removing the sidestand relay and see if its getting power. I'll also check the one in line fuse holder thats not getting any power. thanks for the help XJ550H ill keep you guys posted on this thread as I get the bike working.

10. XJ550H

go to your inbox

11. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Ok so no power to side stand relay (red/white) also no power to the ignition fuse on 20vdc reading shows 0.1 (red/yellow) also tested ignition wire before the fuse holder. So it's not the actual holder. Where does this red/white wire run to? I'm guessing battery but I've already replaced the positive cable with the little solenoid. Also have no power coming off of new and old starter relay (blue/white and red/white) connected to positive terminal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  12. XJ550H

on the connector that goes to the solenoid blue/white wire goes to the starter button when you press the starter button it makes a connection to ground

the red/white wire goes to the starter safety relay output.

the 10 amp ignition fuse runs up to run/kill switch then down to input side of starter safety relay. when the relay closes the red white wire input is connected to the red/white output wire which runs to the solenoid
    seca key.JPG
    do you see the Br(own wire running from key switch to the fuse?
    that brown wire feeds the fuses except main fuse. the main fuse feeds the key switch.
    find the connector that is on the cable harness coming from the right controler (the one with the run/kill switch).
    there should be 2 r/w wires at the connector one wire will be 12 volts going into the run switch the other r/w wire is coming out of the kill switch.
    the output r/w wire should be hot with the switch in center run position and no voltage when switch is to left or right of center. check for 12 volts in and 12 volts switable out.

in the wiring diagram run switch is called engine stop switch

13. XJ550H

the starter safety relay (starter cutoff relay gets its 12 volts from the run switsh then grounds through the neutral switch

seca n.JPG
    if bike is in gear and sidestand must be up to close sidestand switch . then the starter safety relay grounds through the clutch switch going into the sidestand switch to ground. that would be the L/Y wire in above drawing

14. XJ550H

I have a question about your battery you said you have a new battery in the bike.

my battery for my 750 has the plus on the right hand side not the left.
    what brand battery do you have? and is it hooked up backwards?

the original battery used in the bike had plus terminal on left side as your photo shows.

15. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

So when I bought the bike the PO had just picked up a new in box battery from walmart its a bit shorter than the stock size with reversed terminals its an everstart, it has enough CCA's compared to the original size. I work at an auto parts store so i also tried the proper size battery with correct terminal orientation and there was no change.

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My vote is for a fractured main fuse holdng clip. Small cracks cause big problems.

17. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

And also check ignition switch contacts

18. XJ550H

19. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Thanks for the help guys got a kinda hectic work schedule so I'll try all these on monday and see what I can figure out.

20. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Ok so brown wire and red wire connected to the key switch is getting solid power. There is no 12v at either r/w wire from kill switch when the key is in off or on position. With the red kill switch in the not run position and key on one of the r/w (in picture) voltage jumps up from .01 to .1 v I'll take apart the ignition lock assembly and clean the contacts. Still pulling my hair out with this thing guys.

Upon further inspection no fuse other than main 30a is getting 12v. They all read .05 or .1v

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018