1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to me 81 seca (12/80)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Vinjap4fun, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Hey y'all, so about a month ago, i traded a yamazuki 150cc quad (sold once, ditched, recovered wrecked by me, now traded) for a "blown up" 750 seca. He called it blown up, but it would still fire up, and he had the title, so no brainer, I loaded it up and headed home to excitedly diagnose this running blown up bike. I've never owned a Yamaha....but first, a little background info. I love combustion! I love making things go that currently don't. I'm not so overly attentive to beauty queen status rather I'm more of a functionality type builder. I like em beat up and crusty and rusty and put to pasture, untouched. I currently own and am full of knowledge (at least the ones I've worked on) about Honda bikes. 84 200s atc, 86 trx200sx quad, nc 50 express, 78 cb750 four, and a pair of matching, running, complete, titled 82 sabre v45 750s's.

Now here I am with an across the frame 4 cyl, shaft driven Yamaha and 2 boxes of "misc parts" all contents in which pertain to this particular xj750. Previous owner apparently tried to Bob it out or Cafe race it. So Lord knows what in the world has been chopped, cut, "fixed", etc.

After firing it up, and really seeing the extreme valve cover gasket leak, The dreaded oil spilling out the crankcase vent trick arrived. Luckily, I've encountered this dillemna with both sabres, so I immediately ordered a carb bowl rebuild kit and pulled the carb rack out. Rebuilt them, cleaned jets, inspected boots, and reattached. Ok, so now to the rest of the bike while oil/gas is draining. Almost 5 quarts total. No wonder valve cover gasket failed! Lucky that was it. So po laid it down and broke throttle, must've been searching for light switch and dropped it. The wiring nightmare on this thing is ummm, bad. Almost all done now, just need brake light hooked up to relay and turn signals need to blink. Original dash, was removed. Fine, got a speedo, that works. I took her for her first test hit yesterday. I must say, with alot of misc parts, (including complete sabre front brake setup, and atc thumb throttle) this thing is freaking awesome. Tell me what y'all think about my final product, but it'll always be my project Rider/loaner bike. It def passes functionality test! Thanks

Attached Files:

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Looks like a fun ride... Dont know about the atv thumb throttle... Lol! But whatever floats your boat ;)

3. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Mad Max would be proud... if she runs true without shaking around then love it :)

Gotta lose the original rubber brake lines though....

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Agreed, brake lines need to go. I have the fender, but no hardware, it'd be nice to have on mornings after it rains. So tonight I mounted tag bracket, as well as wired a tag light, but not indecisive on where to mount the light.
    I also feel like I need to do something with the exhaust. It's got a 4 in 1 head pipe that has some sort of baffle or resonator in the end of the pipe (factory welded). But that's it. I have a set of stock Fatboy 1450 pipes, so I mocked up an adapter and letbit hang there to see how it looks. Still not sure, but she's a screamer when I'm on it, and I don't need more attention really. Any inexpensive suggestions I could try? What do y'all think of the Fatboy pipe?

Attached Files:

5. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Mad Max would def be proud! And I got on top of the hill at about 80 and let go of the bars and sat straight up, I could change from lane to lane on the road and was totally comfortable. She's def straight! It still boggles my mind that someone had an actual direction when this build started originally ... This thing was cherry I bet, and I loved the technology of the dash console on the sabres, I imagine this was the same! Fuel, oil, temp etc checkdown at ignition. Buzzersband lights for everytging lol. The dash says 24684, with 71 on the speedo now. So 25000 miles is still great for an 81 jap motor, right?

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The front fender is more than to keep rain off you it help align the front forks and provides support , you really should fit it back on even if you cut it down.

7. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Very good point, and I like the look of the fender for sure! Every bolt I pick up is either wrong thread or not right length...I'm not giving up tho, and thanks for the insight! IMG_20181203_142822519.jpg

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Your local ACE or Sears Hardware store has a nice selection of metric fasteners, I like the stainless steel , a little more but worth it for corrosion resistance. Remember anti seize is your friend , makes it easier if you have to remove something later.:D

9. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

I think I've got the correct set now. Not confirmed, but I have an m8 1.50 22, with a flat and lock washer. Once I confirm the size, should I post it somewhere for reference? Removing everything seems to be the way of former life for my Maxine.

10. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Meanwhile, I mocked a diy windscreen. It's drying now, and not perfect. Literally 10 min, angle iron for a brake, and some flat 28 gauge for duct work. After Road testing for visibility and functionality, I'll make a new one and strap it on. This is what I got so far. IMG_20181205_000637953.jpg IMG_20181205_000637953.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

Headlight looks like it's good for lighting up low flying aircraft :D