1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Thoughts on For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by KA1J, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA1J

KA1J Member

My 2 cents is it's important to not have restricted postings in the for sale section. I have bought numerous things from the forum in the past, before there was a restriction on the number of postings and remember how helpful it was to me, to get my three bikes running. Having no restrictions in the for sale forum benefits everyone and makes it easy to buy within the group. If people are restricted from posting, they'll make more use of fleabay to get parts and they'll find XJbikes less relevant and those members will become less loyal to it. That won't help the group in the long run.

Gary

2. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Non-Premium seller can post 1ad per 28days (4weeks). If the seller needs to post more ads then they should be supporting this site by becoming Premium Member. Ebay isn't free...

TheCrazyGnat, hogfiddles and k-moe like this.
  3. KA1J

KA1J Member

It's not my call, just my 2 cents. To me, one post a month isn't enough if someone is looking or selling something. For those who aren't offering the parts we need because they can't post, negatively affects everyone. I stand by my reasoning why there shouldn't be a restriction on selling/buying.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You can always reply to your original ad, and it will show up on the new posts page.

5. Richard Elbon

Richard Elbon Active Member

This is the only site I’ve been involved with motorcycle or classic car that wants to charge money.

6. k-moe

There are other forums that do request financial support. Adventure Rider is one.
    The internet isn't free, but all of the basic services that this forum provides are.

hogfiddles likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you have the free membership you have to put up with ads
    it is not much of a charge to get the full package

and our advise is always free

hogfiddles likes this.
  8. Richard Elbon

I used GS Resources to sell a massive amount of 82 1100E parts. Just as big and popular as the XJ site, didn’t cost a dime. Craigslist also does very well for me.How about taking a poll to see what the General XJ population thinks?

9. k-moe

Start a conversation with @SnoSheriff.

You can post one ad per-month here, with as many items in it as you want, for free.

And by "for free," I mean at the expense of those of us who pay to access the extended features of the site, and the small amount of advertising revenue the site generates for the owner. The forums that charge nothing for premium access either have a ton of ads, or a benefactor who has deep enough pockets to support the site out of his personal income.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  10. XJ550H

snoSheriff does post the ads from ebay here as well.
    the other free sites I go to do not answer questions for days or weeks if at all . most of the brain power there is for newer bikes.
    as stated above yiu can post an ad and reply to it with updates of what you have

11. Richard Elbon

I understand post for free. It’s the 1 post per month that I don’t like. Part a bike out and try to do it in one post. Not reasonable.

12. Richard Elbon

Again ,everybody who uses this site,what say you? Restrict to the absolutely absurd one per month or unlimited posts?That’s what the internet is supposed to be about. FREEdom of information sharing. I’d like others besides KA1J and myself to post a comment. The other forums I’m in are AACA Buick, Ford truck enthusiasts,GS Resources and HAMB, all very well populated forums with a massive amount of info and for sale/wanted with no restrictions or dues requested. Let’s hear it folks. Regardless of what this site does I would agree with a majority vote.

13. XJ550H

you have democracy confused with capitalisim.

as far as democratic issues you do have the free choice of not using the site.

there are other restrictions here to the free membership editing time, posting in the show case.

but yes lets hear from others. anyone unhappy with how this capitalist site works?

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i didn't think it was possible for someone to complain more than my wife

Chitwood, chacal and XJ550H like this.
  15. k-moe

We had this conversation when the changes were made over three years ago.

Changes were made because,

I'm taking a hint from the owner and locking this until he gets back to me.

@Richard Elbon, you were asked to contact @SnoSheriff directly with your suggestion. Please do so.
    In case you missed the second post in this very thread: #2

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  16. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

I created this website 13yrs ago. I used my own money for everything because this is not operated by a company that may have other revenue streams. It took endless amount of time, research and support to get the site off the ground and to where it's at today. It's only fair to get some money for all my work and to keep the site going.

So, if the seller is selling many parts and doesn't want to kick in measly 5bux per month while making all their sales on here then they have options. If you think that what you get here for free is not reasonable then you also have options.

If you have any other ideas how I can get revenue from this site then send me PM. I'm keeping this thread closed.

17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Become a premium member. I have an automatic payment donated every month. Whether i sell anything, or buy anything....or not. Good grief, if everyone donated even as little as $1/month, that w0uld be awesome for the creator. I personally have NO issue with the terms that have been set forth.

XJ550H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.