1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750J Refurb

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turpentyne, Jul 5, 2018.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Exceptional (and funny, you're a great narrator/editor). Of course it needs to go into the how-to section!

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Your video is good definitely need to be put in the how to video file.

3. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Wellll, bummer. Taking suggestions on something....

I cleaned up the fuel sending and added new gaskets. Before putting it on the bike, I threw a little gas in to make sure it wouldn't pee all over the place.

But it did.

Here's a before & after pic. Now I suspect the PO tried (badly) to fix the wrong spot. It's leaking around the plastic insulator for the green wire attachment. Any thoughts? I could probably put a little... something... around it, but then I'm just doing same as the last guy. Or give up and get a new one? I so hoped to get this bike started this weekend -- and not have to buy a new sending unit.
    [​IMG]

4. Jetfixer

Thourghly clean area mix up JB weld (not JB quick) let it set 24 hours at least 50 degrees or above . Cover area over bolt head and around area washer . I have an aftermarket aluminum engine case in my 71 VW 1776 cc the oil pressure sending unit boss cracked off , I fixed it with JB WELD about 8 years ago it withstands 60 plus psi of oil pressure with no leaks .

5. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

yeah... I figured that might be the suggestion. I covered the connection with Ultimate Black J-B weld an hour ago. Time to work on other stuff, I guess.

It annoys me that there's a NOS sensor on eBay for over $100 bucks. I guess it's become unobtanium. (or is it unWantium?)

6. Jetfixer

Let it set up over night .

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that is a good price for new old stock. not many used ones because you need it to sell a fuel tank. if you do not need the fuel guage xj4ever sells a blanking plate

also a used tank may be an option, but considering that you have an XJ750J that bike is a 1 year model, just as the XJ750K is a 1 year model (style)

8. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Yeah, I might get the blanking plate eventually. I wanted to keep everything as original as possible, but I understand these are apparently no more reliable or accurate than poking a stick in - or just looking. :)

9. XJ550H

I use my trip meter to tell how much fuel I have in the tank my fuel guage is just to fickle to the slosh to be reason I get fuel.

Chitwood likes this.
  10. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Yep! The RTV took care of that leak! Today I put the tank on, and managed to get it started. Keeps dying after about 10-20 seconds of running, So I gotta figure that out tomorrow....
    but it's sure nice to know she's still kickin' after a year of being silent!

11. XJ550H

keep an eye on the rtv it will break down after some time in contact with gas

k-moe likes this.
  12. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Oh! Bummer. It said it resists oil and petroleum products, so I assumed it was ok. Maybe a little dumb on my part!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  13. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Took my first stab at using the carbtune. The carbs went through a complete break-down and church-cleaned. The mixture screws set right at 2 1/2 turns. First I put the color tune on there, I got blue, but with some white pops and the idle was hanging like a banshee, higher with each turn. Basically, acting like it was lean... or maybe just wayyy out of synch.

So I dropped the main idle screw to about 1200 rpm, and tried out the carbtune. When I got everything dialed in, it definitely seems to have gotten rid of (most of) the hanging idle, but I was surprised how low the steel bars were. I would've expected higher. Where should they be?

Here's what I've got right now. thoughts on what you hear?

14. XJ550H

idle rpm is 1050

your bars are equal and rise equaly thats always good

15. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

oh! A little lower than I'm setting it. ok.. I'll adjust. I just came back in from fiddling with it. This time the bars were a little higher, around the 12-mark, so that's more like I expected.

Unfortunately, any more fiddling will have to wait. Time to help someone put an outdoor fire pit thing together.

16. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Seems the bike is dialed in, more or less, but I'm curious about opinions on the start-up.

The last three weekends I've started it up, to do a little more fine tuning, but I notice after a week, I have to spray a little starter fluid down the airbox the first couple times. Choke's wide open, and from what I understand I shouldn't often need that. I'm in icy-cold Phoenix, where it's a whopping 63 degrees here in the dead of winter. (18 C to the rest of the world).

I'm running off a little fuel container with a simple on-off switch, at the moment - not the tank with its vacuum petcock. I wouldn't think that had anything to do with it.

Thoughts?

(ps. the carbs were taken to church for a 100% teardown and rebuild with new jets and whatnot.)