1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

wheel weight?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 50gary, Dec 24, 2018.

1. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Does anyone know the weight of the front wheel assembly, wheel, tire, and double rotors? I have an 1982 750 Maxim and inquiring mind(s) wanna know? I weighed my YZF R1 (2000) front wheel, tire, and rotors and it's 27# 7 oz. just for comparison to a fairly modern sport bike.
    Cheers, 50gary

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

now THAT is a new question

3. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

I’ll bet the max weights more.

4. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I'm also betting the Maxim wheel assembly weight a lot more. Currently my Maxim is in storage until the Holidays are over otherwise I'd weigh my own wheel. I weighed the same assembly from 1979 XS11 years ago and it's wheel, tire, and both rotors is was a whopping 49#!! I figure each pound is worth about 6 bhp. What I do is hp to weight ratio, then figure the same hp at a lower weight then calculate back to the same ratio, the difference is what a single hp is worth in pounds. I.E. if you have a bike that actually weighs 500# with 100 hp that equals 5# per 1 hp. Then remove 50# to 450# to the same hp of 100 now equals 4.5# per hp. Therefore to have the original bike weight of 500# at 4.5# per 1 hp ratio you would need to increase the engine output to 111.11 and that's a huge increase. The Maxim is listed as 524# but I'm not sure of the Hp rating of the two valve models.
    Cheers, 50gary

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

What happens if I go for the second helping of mashed potatoes and gravy?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Your soul in enriched immeasurably.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

put your 750 motor in a 650 frame the 650 is about 25# dry wt lighter than a 750.

xj750 wt 474 dry 524 wet

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  8. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Seconds.. had to wait an hour to eat cheesecake for desert. Tough assignment but had to man up and eat.
    I've always wondered about 650 vs. 750, but with me then I'd try to take off 50# from the 650 as well?
    Cheers, 50gary

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

would be easier to take a few pounds off the rider if possible;)

Virago wheels are smaller dia but that would be counter productive to the speed

check out the tire weights may be able to save a little on those as well.
    change the seat to something lighter.
    could drop dual disc down to single disc but that has its problems too, always the aftermarket disc with all the holes drilled into them to lighten them up
    smaller gas tank from a 650 tank weights less and run less gas in the tank.
    dump the dual horns may be able to find a lighter single horn it is a game of ounces
    stripe down the wiring harness go to minimum wiring or one of those magic boxes for the wiring the bike with even less wiring
    trim down the fenders ect
    aluminim handel bars or clip ons
    dump the atari package for smaller speedo tach combo (blasphemy I say:rolleyes:)

think outside the box

83 xj750 is 5 pounds ligher than an 82 xj750

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

use a lighter Wt. oil
    fill the tires with nitrogen
    don't wear underwear or socks
    shave your head
    take a good _ _ _ _

11. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Ha, I do shave my head but not for weight loss. I have weighed the same body weight forever, I weigh 170# 5' 10.5" 5% body fat, I'm a lifer, cyclist, was a fitness model etc. Any how the most important item for weight loss are the rotating ones, as a cyclist I know the first most important thing on a bicycle is the rider the second most important thing are the wheels/tire combo. Light and aero is the mantra for cycling. One ounce of weight on the motorcycle wheel rim is equivalent to 25# of force at 100 mph. You can roughly figure a 4/1 ratio of static weight to rotating weight. This statistic is from TAW Vehicle Dynamics. I have a plan for the Maxim after the first of the year though, way too much going on right now. I was just interested in the stock Maxim wheel weight for day dreaming at this point. I may go to the storage garage tomorrow after work (getting all wound up now) and pull the front wheel out of curiosity?
    Cheers, 50gary