1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New rider: helmet fogs up really bad in the cold.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Joeoeo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Hey guys been on here for a few months learning the ins and outs of these old cool bikes and have a question.

My brand new helmet fogs up when riding in sub 50(f) Western NC (high humidity all the time) I have all the vents open to help with airflow. Helmet is a scorpion exo-t510. Cracking the visor doesn't really seem to help. sadly I dont believe they make a pinlock visor that works with the t510. Have tried the shaving cream trick and it helps for 2 days then back to fog city. Any advice as to any other products that you guys have had luck with?

I HAVE TRIED NOT BREATHING BUT IT ONLY HELPS FOR LIKE 1:48 BEFORE I START TO PASS OUT

smeagol21b, Franz and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

That's funny right there! I switched to a 3/4 helmet with no shield whatsoever and I haven't had any fogging problems even in 33° rides. If I am wearing my full face cracking the visor open ever so slightly seems to do the trick. Stop lights/signs are still troublesome but it works. Not sure what a good solution for you will be but interested to hear others opinions

Joeoeo likes this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you can get two layer shields for some helmets, like thermopane windows, there's also breath shields that fit in your helmet.
    never used either one, look around on snow machine groups

4. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Yeah thats the pinlock system I was talking about, sadly not compatible with my current helmet.

5. raskal

raskal Active Member

You could try scuba divers Anti-fog. I've used it, but not much better luck than you've had with shaving creme

Joeoeo likes this.
  6. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

I'm a scuba diver, I spit tobacco in my mast and then rinse with water works great but I don't think that will help much on a windshield

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Dishwashing liquid. Put a thin layer on the inside of the faceshield, then polish it dry with a soft cloth.
    Beeswax works too.
    Both will need to be reapplied periodically, but are cheap.

I used a Fog City faceshield liner for years, and it works well but can cause some distortion if you don't install it carefully. There are several resellers out there, Amazon carries them as well.

My current practice is to buy a helmet that has a anti-fog coating on the faceshield. Scorpion is the only brand I've tried with that feature, and it works very well for about three years. By then the faceshiled is scratched enough that I need to replace it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Joeoeo likes this.
  8. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Supposedly spit works, but I haven't tried it myself. I do flip my shield up when at stop lights and crack the visor when running. I got the Bell Revolver, which supposedly has an anti fog coating, but doesn't seem to be that much better than my old helmet. I'll have to try k-moe's suggestions.

9. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

My Arai helmet has aged out. My replacement is inferior (a lot cheaper, too). The Arai stayed mostly clear. A great helmet if you can afford it. For now, I'm following this thread.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

JetmechMarty likes this.
  11. Joeoeo

Joeoeo New Member

Yeah ive tried this as well, for me it seems like my helmet heats up even more while wearing the balaclava thus leading to more condensation. Found a setting on my helmet where it keeps the visor cracked 1/4 inch and if i start my ride like that and keep it on the setting it greatly reduces the amount of fog that builds up. Seems to be working pretty good for now.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  12. smeagol21b

smeagol21b Active Member

I just tip the chin of my helmet up a bit more, works for me... Some helmets have these little guards that snap in and goes up over your nose much like a ski mask would as @XJ550H suggested but without the rest of the mask..... Do you breathe through your nose or mouth more? That can make a huge difference!

Chitwood likes this.
  13. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Gee XJ550H you got some pretty eyes.:)

Joeoeo likes this.
  14. XJ550H

The windows to my soul;)

15. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Long before Pinlock visors became available, I'd tried all sorts of tricks and techniques, but none of them lasted except for one.
    I put a short wooden clothes peg (the sprung type) on the bottom of the visor to keep it open by about quarter of an inch, and just kept my visor up when in town traffic. The peg is simple to remove when you need the visor closed fully and at higher speeds.
    Some helmets are better than others at being able to lock the visor partially open. I've found a few modern helmets are particularly crap at it. Not to say they all are, as I've only tried a small number of them, but others will be better I've no doubt.
    Now that Pinlocks have filtered down to the more budget level of helmets, I've been using one for the past year or so, and it really works.

Joeoeo likes this.
  16. XJ550H

at least you do not have to put it on your nose:)

jayrodoh likes this.
  17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Don't put your helmet on? ...... oh, wait--- bad idea. You'd freeze your face.

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Balaclavas- they don't work for me--- the air comes out at my glasses and then fogs THEM up.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.