1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

cold blooded at first - then pops warmed up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turpentyne, Jan 21, 2019.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you test the secondary from sparkplug wire to spark plug wire. wire 1 and 4 then wire 2 and 3 . you also test the caps Meter set to high enough range to read?

XJ750 air-cooled models:

Pick-up coils:
    650 ohms +/- 20% = 520 ohms to 780 ohms acceptable range

Ignition Coils:

Primary side (input from main wiring harness):
    2.5 ohms +/- 10% = 2.25 ohms - 2.75 ohms acceptable range

Secondary side (spark plug wires, without their end caps):
    11K ohms +/- 20% = 8,800 ohms - 13,200 ohms acceptable range

Spark plug caps:
    1981-83 models: 5K +/- 20% = 4,000 to 6,000 ohms per cap acceptable range
    1984 RL models: 10K +/- 20% = 8,000 to 12,000 ohms per cap acceptable range

Spark plugs:
    0 ohms per plug

2. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Went out and double-checked everything, once @XJ550H pointed out I was testing between the wrong wires. I did a quick test (with caps still on) and DMM set to 200k and got a reading of 21.00 between 1 and 4 wires, and 20.5 between 2 and 3. On pickup coils, the readings were 658 and 669. I think was just reading with the decimal in the wrong spot.

Then I checked all the bowls, and they seemed full and fine. I pushed the ignition and it started up, first try.

Maybe I've just been too impatient waiting for the bowl to fill. Or maybe it's just because I'd tried enough times earlier.

Now that I got a little swagger back, I'll pull the caps and check the readings.

3. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Ok... here's an odd update... while typing my previous note, the bike was out there warming up. I went back out, and blipped the throttle a couple times. I could hear the popping a little, but after a couple minutes it actually went away.

Only thing I've done is take the spark plug caps off when checking them. I did snip an extra half centimeter off wire #3.

Aside from the fact that it still popped a couple times... was my issue just a combination of being impatient waiting for bowls to fill and .. maybe a new cap wasn't quite on there well enough? Oh.... Except that I saw the popping while colortuning, so the cap isn't the issue.

Dang.. now I'm stumped on whether I have any problem at all. hahaha! Maybe It's the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds like it is time to tune your carbs running sync and color tune.