1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bias or radial ply tire

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tabaka45, Feb 18, 2019.

1. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

My XJ700 owner’s manual calls for Bridgestone G525 and G526 tires which are bias ply tires. My Dunlap 404 tires are going to need replacement soon and apparently the G535 and 526 no longer come in the correct size, 100/90/16 front and 130/90/16 rear. I know very little about tires especially the advantages/disadvantages of bias and radial tires. I do not ride aggressively so I am looking for a good long lasting tire. I think the Dunlap 404’s are bias tires and the ones on the bike have at least 9,000 on them so unless someone can recommend a better option I guess I will go back with the 404’s. Any recommendations?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

For the typical street rider there is no real difference.
    Base your choice on availabllity in the size and tread compound that you need to suit your uses.

Toomanybikes likes this.
  3. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I doubt you'll find radials tyres in sizes to suit your bike

4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Radials have a higher speed rating and slightly better handling, I have ran Dunlops , Bridgstone, Shinko on some of my bikes . Mostly down to price and availability and size , might be difficult to find exact size .

5. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

How did you like the Shinko tire? I'm looking for durability and miles since I just cruise along at about 60-65.

6. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I spent 2 years of my life saving for college by building tires when we actually manufactured stuff in Canada.
    In the carcass of a bias ply tire the plys are almost 90 degrees to each other, in the radial tire carcass the plys are a much tighter angle. This results in a much more flexible sidewall for radials, which allows the tread a greater contact patch with the road, superior traction and a smoother ride. This difference in handling traits is why its never advisable to mix the 2 constructions on the same vehicle.

Radials typically require rims with a minimum 3" wide front and 4" rear.

7. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

20170429_173148.jpg

For the price, my Dunlop 404's have given me good results.

Next set I would be tempted by Bridgestone Spitfires just so I don't have to keep repainting the white letters on my Dunlops...:D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    ksigurdsen likes this.
  8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I have had good wear and mileage out of these tires, replaced my Dunlops on my Buell with the Shinkos , they are not bad tires and these are what I have on my Seca now , I have about 1200 miles with lots of tread left .

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Whatever tires you get, just promise to keep posting pictures of that beautiful bike!

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I’ve run all three of these as well. Shinko is great value but wears the quickest. Dunlop/Bridgestone is a toss up for me. Personally I think the Dunlop is a better everyday rider tire but I like the look of the Bridgestone better.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

look these up
    ContiRoadAttack 3 / ContiClassicAttack
    probably take your house for a down payment

12. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I put a kenda on the rear of my maxim towards the end of last season and was a world of improvement over the old worn dunlop that was on it. Price was a big deciding factor for me. We will see how long it lasts. (Depends how much rubber gets put down in not normal circumstances) but for $60-65 to my door if I only get a couple seasons out of it I wont mind too much

13. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Being a natural cheapskate I've amassed quite a few riding miles on tyres that would have the brand snobs wincing.
    Eventually I found a tyre make that did everything I needed at the right price - Maxxis, which isn't a brand that would be known in the Americas.
    Used to be that Cheng Shin made the ultimate ditchfinder tyre, and I've had some right scary moments on CS tyres over the years, so I'd avoided them for a long time. Then somebody told me about Maxxis and I tried one out on the rear of the GS. It gripped well, cornered well, was good in the wet and wore well.
    It was also made by Cheng Shin :eek:
    Turns out CS bought the entire plant and knowhow of some Japanese maker and started improving their brand image, hence re-launching as Maxxis.
    I've been using them fairly continuously for several years now and I'm still quite happy with them.
    As far as I can see, the Shinko tires are probably the nearest equivalent in the States and Canada.
    Somebody mentioned Kenda.
    I've had mixed experience with Kenda - when they first appeared on the UK market with big-bike / cruiser sized tyres, I fitted one and was quite impressed with it. Then I went through a puddle of standing water that really shouldn't have been a problem and the bike rear aquaplaned quite badly.
    I took the tyre back to the dealer and let him know - he swapped it for a Metz, iirc. and got on to the Kenda distributor with my story.
    Kenda fixed the problem - what was actually happening was the tread pattern was simply inadequate to clear heavy water fast enough, so the new model tyre had a different pattern. I tried the new Kenda and it was absolutely fine. No problems about wet grip (heavy or light rain, and I went and found some standing water to make sure), wear was really very good and the handling was fine.
    In between times I've kept an eye open on the tyre warehouse offers and picked up quite a few better known makes in odd sizes that fitted mine, usually stock clearance sales and got decent rubber for half price or less.

14. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I bought new Spitfires for the XJ last year and they felt fantastic even in the massive storm I rode in. The Triumph has Michelin Pilot Road 3's on it and I took them for a ride in the rain and cold in November and they were very solid in tough conditions. Two completely different styles of tires that both do the job needed, for the bike they're designed for.

15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The Maxxis line has been available in Canada for a long time.
    I have Supermax radials on my supermoto set up.

16. OldFleetGuy

OldFleetGuy Member

Pleased with Shinko's. If you mount'em yourself, you can shoe up for about $110.00 (712's) $125.00 (230's) on a XJ650 Maxim. The Shinko 712's and 230's gave me about the same @ mileage - 6K rear/11K front. 230's ride smoother, 712's seem sticker and steer quicker. I replace tires by tread wear indicator. These miles have accumulated mostly on notoriously abrasive NC road surfaces, would think GA has the same kinda rough road mix. Got my bike with what looked like new Dunlop 404's - got 3.8K (rear) 4.5K (front) . Been rolling Shinko's since .

Tim O likes this.
  17. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I love Maxxis tires for my mountain bikes... didn't know they made motorcycle tires :)

18. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I also just went through a set of 712 Shinkos on the 750 Seca. I like them a lot.
    7.5K rear , just replaced, and working on about 8K so far on the front but have one ready.

I rode them too long to get that 7.5k and swapped it when it was kind of unstable in the wet. Then noticed the first threads showing... so I'm learning not to do that this time.