1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starting issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by spacetiger110, Feb 22, 2019.

1. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

I've been having an issue where after riding for a little while (20-30 minutes), if I stall or shut off the bike it won't start again. Starter acts exactly as it would with a dead battery, trying to turn it over softer and softer until it stops trying at all. Anyone have any ideas?

2. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

And it will start again if left to cool down.

3. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Test battery and charging system to assure both are up to spec. Then I would check the starter itself as well as the starter solenoid. Battery cables and dirty ground connections can add insult to injury also. Heat equals resistance.

Franz and spacetiger110 like this.
  4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Could be it's time for a good connection cleaning party all the way around the bike and maybe a starter rebuild.

Franz and spacetiger110 like this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

^^^+1 good chance your battery could be week , if you have a lead acid battery , are the cells all at proper level? Is your bike fully charged when this happens? The start solenoid on my seca would quit sometimes when trying to start, it was corroded, replaced and all is well. Cheap part think I paid 15$ .

spacetiger110 likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'm going to buck the trend and say that the starter itself is at fault.

Replacing your starter motor brushes w/ pics

While the brushes may be the culprit, it's also possible (and maybe more likely) that the windings have a bit of laquer that has peeled away, allowing a short to develop when the starter gets hot.

Franz, Chitwood, Timbox and 2 others like this.
  7. k-moe

Another thing that came to mind last night: When was the last time you checked the valve clearances?

Chitwood likes this.
  8. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Never. I just bought the bike last month. It's one of the first things I plan on doing when the weather breaks. Could that be the issue?

9. k-moe

Yes. If the valves are tight she will have a really hard time starting again once warm, and will stall more easily.

Since the bike is new to you, I suggest going through everything before you do any more riding.
    Read This First

Running does not equal ready-to-ride.

10. David Eden

David Eden New Member

Im.kinda with you on this one especially if the bike cools off and no jumping or charge is required..

11. David Eden

David Eden New Member

I'm I'm agreement that it's more likely the starter itself , and depending on where the short is in reference to the number of turns or winds can be detrimental to the cranking torque . I have ot i had trouble with oil getting past the drive gear on the starter and getting into the the brush holders and combining with brush dust and becoming a thick paste like stuff and the brushes would not stay against the comutator thus after just cleang it I would spend about a week push starting but with a new o ring if i remember right is what fixed it but it would take just a bump with my hand close to starter would get me going for a few days then push start I think 8f I wanted to keep dealing with that as I age I dont think I would push start it for a week anymore maybe once or twice now..

12. David Eden

David Eden New Member

Hey how long do I stay a new member ? I believe in have been.a member for close to two years now. But still ride my turbo almost every day.

13. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Your number of posts determines your status here....not how long you have been a member

14. k-moe

It's just a fun way of noting post count.
    Post count has nothing to do with anything, except in the case of very new members in order to alleviate spam posts.
    Status comes from how we all interact with each other, and is only kept track-of by each of us individually. There's no counter on the forum for that.

Premium members are allowed to edit their post-count title (see my own for an example).