1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I've used those on occasion as well. It's hit-or-miss if they will grab and hold without shearing off the surface in chips. That's why I usually try the pipe wrench first, it bites a lot harder. You can take a file to the wrench teeth and make them very sharp. Also, the spiral screw extractors rarely work for me but the fluted ones work just about every time, and they are much cheaper.

2. Nambro

Nambro Member

I considered giving the screw extractor a shot, even started drilling a pilot hole in the center. My reason for not giving it a shot is since the bolt is really the bypass valve assembly and is hollow, I didn't want to punch a hole through the center and end up lubricating everything. Probably would have had plenty of room before that would be an issue but I didn't want to press my luck.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

good call on not drilling.
    I have a set of those bolt extractors. I do not know how I ever got along with out them.
    slap that extractor on to the ratchet worked just like it was a socket.

4. Nambro

Nambro Member

I'm sure they'll come in handy again, luckily not for this particular issue.

After work project: converted over to the spin on filter.
    [​IMG]

Ryengoth, SpearChucker and Jetfixer like this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Whooo hit 59 degrees pulled bike out, hopped on started bike up drop into gear ....and running on 3 cylinders , tried to ride a bit to see if it would clear up...no dice. Pulled plug number 1 was not firing , I always have spare plugs , put in another set ...that did the trick ....took bike out to back road hit 60 felt so good ...only rode 5 miles but had to put bike back away temp set to drop again and nice to have my truck in the garage and not have to scrape windows in morning.

XJ750DB, Franz and SpearChucker like this.
  6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I'll take one of each!

Nuch and Jetfixer like this.
  7. Jetfixer

Matti glad to see your still upright ...

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, I'm around, but not so much in the motorcycle way. Gotta annoy the wife a whole bunch more before she'll let me get another one!

SpearChucker and Jetfixer like this.
  9. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I got the Seca 750 Touring out of the shop into the sunshine, pulled out the ratty, given to me, don't want to run well carbs and slid in the fresh from Dave, Hogfiddled carbs in, fed it some gas and had it running. The last time this beast was on the road was 2007. It lives, it lives! A bit of tuning and tweaking and it shall tour again.
    John

SpearChucker and chacal like this.
  10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Spring has finally arrived for me. After the flooding, snow and cold of February/March, yesterday was sunny warm...and dry in SE South Dakota. Got the XJ550 out after work. Checked oil (changed before storing), brakes, tires...hit prime for 1 minute, choke on, press starter. 3rd attempt fired right up. (Rebuilt starter last season, she really turns over now).

Big smile, off for the first ride of the season.

Gotta love spring.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    SpearChucker, Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  11. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Battery box, electrical box, swing arm and stands are back on the frame. Wiring harness will be routed tomorrow. Buffed and painted more parts and tore down the rear light and trim. Tried refreshing grease in the rear wheel bearings but still tight so popped them out.

Tim O likes this.
  12. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Swapped the lock cylinder out from a matched key set SnoSherrif sold me into this new Emgo assembly. All parts fit perfect except for the detent plate. :confused: The tension on the contact block was so much that I couldn't turn the key once it was screwed 100% together. I cussed at it and reassembled it like 15 times. The neck locking cam laughed every time and popped up out of the slide just make it more fun. :mad: It's done, though. Yamaha key in a shiny new assembly to match the tank cap, helmet lock and glovebox. :D Now, if only the bike was back together to use them on.

[​IMG]

13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I'm working on this currently. Second prototype version is printing for fitment tests. I've added a 40mm hex to the cap top, similar to the K&N filter. I'll be able to use a strap wrench too to remove the cover too. The cap is left threaded so it can be removed if needed. A colleague of mine will be machining the parts out of 6061 aluminum. the filter pipe will be low-carbon steel.

[​IMG]

SpearChucker and Nambro like this.
  14. Nambro

Nambro Member

Not too exciting but I did finally get a seat/helmet lock (original must have walked off with the PO). Nice to know someone won't be able to walk off with my seat, or at least not as easily.

15. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Just ordered the m.unit blue for my bike. #stoked

16. Nambro

Nambro Member

Shout out to Hogfiddles for setting me up with some crash bars. Picked up some longer bolts and finally managed to get them installed. I think I may have broken my foot persuading everything to line up though...

[​IMG]

Jetfixer, Franz and Ryengoth like this.
  17. Jetfixer

O joy rode several times today only went about 20 miles ,BUT I worked in the garage , replaced some lights that were out , and finally worked on my 2nd set of carbs , got the jets or what was left of them anyway out, soaked the float bowls . Old gas turns to jelley , and can be very difficult to remove . Soaking in Berrymans carb soak did the trick , the jet in the well is another matter , when I have more time will soak bowls longer. I bought a stock exhaust off of eBay a couple of months ago ,finally pulled it out of box , it is in really good shape ,cleaned it up a little and sprayed the collector box with rust encapsulater ,and painted with high temp the pipe collector brackets VHT aluminum. I'm still not sure why I bought it my MAC system is in great shape. I tend to impulse buy things and sometimes never put them on ...but I have it lol:D.

Franz likes this.
  18. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

after wet settling floats, put back together , went for short test ride. when I gave it throttle the bike went nuts. 6-8 thou rpm. wouldn't back down. hit kill switch .
    walked it the 1/4mi. back home. no cable or linkage bind . hmmmmm. took rack off, here's what I found.
    SANY2220.JPG

19. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Keep us informed on this please.

20. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Finally got around to riding this particular xj a good bit and I have decided to make it my every day driver to and from work. She will get 100 miles per day now on work days.

I added my Hepco and Becker top box as it’ll hold so much more than the factory top box
    Added the case savers and a set of “v-twin” highway pegs and tossed on the old saddleman seat I’ve had stored for a bit of time

I have a “throttle lock” but I’m not entirely sure yet on it as it looks like I’d have to shave off a small spot of the handlebar covers for room. It came from a 1100 maxim

Attached Files: