1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Weak spark 1&4 no spark 2&3...where do I start?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mad_Bohemian, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Went out to get the bikes fired up for the first time. VooDoo is not playing nice :(
    She's getting gas but there's something weird going on with the spark/ plugs. Plugs 1&4 have a pretty consistent weak spark, but here's where it get weird.....2 and 3 have no spark when I am pushing the starter button, when I let off the button and the engine completes that cycle, I get one pulse/spark off 2 and 3. No spark while it's cranking but one spark when I let off the starter switch. WTH?!?! I am holding the plug against the cylinder fins so it has good contact/ground but I still get the same results. Ideas as to where I should start looking? Possible/probable causes?? Thanks guys!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

test the pickup coils at the plug that goes into the tci gray to black and orange to black they control the tci in making spark

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Don't confuse a weak-looking spart for being a problem. TCI ignitions trade spark "brightness" for spark duration.

Start by checking battery voltage under load, then move on to removing the plug caps and checking the wire ends for corrosion.

It's normal for spark to occur (and become visibly stronger) when you release the starter button. There is less load on the electrical system with the starter disengaged, and the engine is still turning, triggering the TCI.

Rooster53 likes this.
  4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a weak battery. Do a voltage reading across the battery while cranking the the bike.

KrS14 and k-moe like this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

voltage should not go below 10 volts when above test is done. if it drops below 10 volts tci will not fire

6. 5valve700

5valve700 New Member

You starting for the first time? In weeks months after a reabuild?

7. 5valve700

5valve700 New Member

If battery checks out you can test pretty much each part of the coils which is where I would start after a good battery. In my personal time with the 700 it wants a full battery period.

8. Mad_Bohemian

I'll give that a check tomorrow

Just restarting after the winter storage, had it hooked up to a battery tender for the duration of the winter.

9. Mad_Bohemian

Ok... so I didn't get out there the next day...or two...or 5 even! :p Put the battery charger on it and let it trickle charge for about 4 days. Checked it out on last Saturday (the 6th) over 11 volts when cranking. Cranked and cranked and cranked... no joy. Kept the charger on over night, went out again on Sunday and she fired up! ( who knew my bike was religious :p) She ran great! probably should rebuild my extra set of carbs, get new boots and stick those on.....or just ride... we'll see! lol

XJ550H likes this.