1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TCI rebuild thread.

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by darkfibre, Jun 23, 2012.

1. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

I am not sure, but I got the impression that there doesn't appear to be any "programming", that it is all hardware based? Robert is probably the best to ask as I believe he knows this better than anyone.

2. zap2504

zap2504 Member

...or adapt another TCI from a similar air-cooled, 4-cyl, 2-valve/cylinder, 2-inductor pickup, pre-programmed ignition advance engine (doesn't even need to be a Yamaha)? The minimum wiring diagram shows 8 connections to the TCI. Is there a central repository for TCI connection schematics?

3. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Much as I like this idea, keep in mind that

is a starting point.

Before testing this TCI on a different model, I first made sure the coils had the same current draw (primary resistance) and the crank trigger had the same shape and pattern.
    If you are considering doing this, post up a thread and make sure I see it, as it IS possible in some cases, and I have some ideas.

As for making a new TCI, most aftermarket injection systems can be used for spark only, and the first thing that has to be solved is the fact the standard trigger system (one pulse per revolution, duplicated 180 degs out). All the new systems seem to need more pulses per revolution.

Someone produce a bolt up (plug and play) 36 - 1 trigger wheel and sensor and then things will move forward quickly.

4. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

FWIW .. Hyperpak in New Zealand have this to say about their TCI for bikes
    "Hyperpaks offer greater reliability than the OEM product while supplying much improved bottom to high end performance, due to a more efficient timing curve and improved dwell time resulting in more spark energy, this also alows the use of aftermaket HT Coils. The Hyperpak will run on both standard and modified engines without having to touch jetting or change HT Coils. " are you contemplating modifying the curves ?

5. Rice_Burnarr

Rice_Burnarr Member

That may have started with me. It is my belief that the only "programming" in the TCI's is the laser trimming of resistors on the ceramic sub-board.

darkfibre, I was talking with you a while ago about some TCI stuff and I thought that I had found that the input triggerings functioned like a flip-flop. You were going to double check:

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... rt=30.html

Now that you've got your test rig operating again, what did you find? Did it have to alternatly trigger each channel or could you repeatadly re-trigger the same channel?

Good work on the reconstruction!

Burnarr

6. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Each channel seems to be Independent, I treat it as two separate systems sharing the board.

Unit is ready for its trip home.

7. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

I await its arrival with bated breath.

8. Rice_Burnarr

Rice_Burnarr Member

Thanks for checking. I don't know what I was looking at then... It wasn't the watchdog circuit. I'm sure it was something on the driver logic. Haha! That's why I should take notes!

Anyway, thanks again, and when I do get around to firing up my test rig again, I'll make sure I pay more attention next time! :idea:

9. zap2504

zap2504 Member

According to their ebay offerings, Hyperpak fits the stock XJ series for a little over $200. Anyone have any experience with them?

10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

You can fake multiple signal pulses from a cyclic signal source with a toy from Split-Second. He has a lot of neat signal modifier and boost/fuel controlling modules I've played with over the years on the Genseis Coupe 3.8 GDiT project.
    I have one of these laying around the shop somewhere. You could use it to produce whatever tach signal you need for the firing trigger: https://splitsec.com/product/ta2-100-tach-adapter/
    I've found a few fairly cheap options to produce 2-8 cylinder firing including using Speeduino with a couple of Bosch igniters. I've been pondering the possibility of a mini-turbo kit on my 550. Need to get the bike done first. LOL

11. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

For the money, that gizmo is at least halfway to one of several plug and play options:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/aftermarket-ignition.45931/

Ryengoth likes this.
  12. migemasa

migemasa New Member

Hello guys i don't know is this correct thread ask about my question about TCI/CDI box but i bought few months ago 1992 Yamaha xj900 to my cafe racer project and just wondering where should i look a new TCI/CDI box or do anyone have wiring diagram from that box? Is there any universal TCI/CDI system what you prefer to use with that bike? Bike is running nicely but just in case because i could not find similar parts from ebay or enywhere.

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there are a couple of tci companies out there that sell aftermarket tci they run 300 to 400$ usd.

there is a web page about fixing the tci list of parts needed
    https://www.xjcd.org/general-electrical