1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn Signal LED conversion (harness and wiring)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jdtrumpet, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Jdtrumpet

Jdtrumpet New Member

Hi everyone,
    First off, I apologize if this is clearly written (at my level of understanding) somewhere else on this site, but I have looked forever and seem to just be spinning in circles. I really have very little electrical knowledge, so much of the post below makes no sense on my bike (83' XJ750).
    https://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-convert-to-leds-and-still-have-everything-work.14068/
    I only have the interest in LED turn signals, so the rest doesn't apply to me for now. So, here are the questions....

1. I bought a 2-pin relay on Amazon that is supposed to work for this conversion, but it makes no sense with my wiring. I keep seeing people mention Brown wires, and Br/W wires, but that isn't what I have near my stock relay (underneath the tank, next to the auto-cancelling unit right?!). I have 1 green, 2 red/white, and 1 black going into the harness. So, do I just splice one of these and connect them to the relay at this spot or maybe under the seat? Please help with this!

2. The rear turn signals have 2 wires... red/black. This makes sense to me. What I don't understand is that my front lights only have 1 wire coming out of it... WHAT? Even if I get the relay working, how do I wire the red/black of my new turn signals with the single wire at the front?

Sorry if I seem like an idiot, but wiring is NOT my specialty at all! Thanks in advance!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That thread originated specifically for the Seca 750 (and Maxim 750) which have a systems monitor that all the lighting circuitry goes through. Your bike doesn't have that, so all you need to focus on are the changes needed to the relay.

If you want to retain the auto-cancel function follow the instructions in the post linked below for using two relays to mimic the OEM relay while being able to use LED signals.
    How to convert to LED's and still have everything work

If you don't care about the self-cancel feature then you need a 2-pin, positive ground electronic no-load signal relay. JUst replace the OEM realy with the new one.

I beleive that your front signals are grounded directly to the frame, which is why you don't see two wires coming from them.

3. Jdtrumpet

Jdtrumpet New Member

I already made a mistake in my original post! I actually have a 83' XJ750 Maxim. So, something is different you're saying?
    I would just bypass my OEM relay, but there are 4 pins and 4 wires. The new relay I have only has 2.
    So, do I:
    1. connect the two red/white wires together and then to the power connector on the new relay
    2. connect the black wire to the ground
    3. forget about the green wire if I am ok with losing the self-cancelling

If the front signals are grounded to the frame, still what does that mean for connecting a new signal with 2 wires? Do I only connect the power wire and re-route the ground wire or something?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

your .at wrong relay oem flasher relay has 3 blades

k-moe likes this.
  5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think you are looking at the wrong relay - most likely the starter cutoff relay which has two R/W, one B/Y, and one SB. See below for location of the relays:

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-relay-switch-sensor-and-diodes-guide.27543/

1982-84 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models:

Flasher: near the steering headpipe, on right side frame rail, under the right side ignition coil.
    Flasher canceller: under the rear of gas tank.
    Starter motor solenoid/relay: attached to and behind the battery box.
    Starter/Ignition cut-off relay (no color): behind self-canceller, under rear of tank.
    Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): behind the left frame side cover, on the plastic regulator-rectifier mounting plate.
    Headlight relay (yellow): not used.
    1982 XJ750 Maxim safety relay single diode: outside the main wiring harness bundle, in the area just behind the fuel tank.
    1983-4 XJ750 Maxim Diode block: inside the headlight housing.
    Neutral switch: in a hole in the bottom of the crankcase, just "outside" of the oil pan, on the bottom of the engine, up inside a recessed "well".

And here is a pic of the flasher relay and cancel unit:

upload_2019-4-24_5-55-31.png

On the rear connect them to the original wiring that used two wires for flashers - Red to the DG and Ch (Dark Green / Chocolate) and connect the black to the original black wires. Connect the front single wire to the original DG and Ch wires and note that the new signal will have to be grounded through the frame so a solid metal to metal connection is required.

And, since the 83 XJ750 Maxim utilizes a single bulb for the flasher indicator you will need to add the diodes as in the above link or you will have hazard lights (all four flashing) when the turn signals are switched on.

k-moe and Jdtrumpet like this.
  6. Jdtrumpet

Jdtrumpet New Member

This is super helpful Rooster! I looked in the shop manual and it was pointing towards the back of the gas tank as where my flasher relay is.... that definitely looks different than the one I see! Hopefully I can find the other one easily when I get to work on it again.

Just a last question about the diode... I've read all of the posts about diodes and the original LED conversion link, but still don't know how to do it. Is it as simple as routing a diode between two spots on the diode block? If so, how do I know which ones? Sorry... I'm sure it is posted somewhere, but I feel like I am reading a foreign language!

7. Rooster53

You can buy a kit or do-it-yourself - the kit is the easiest option and shows you how to connect the diodes to the indicator bulb. Installing the diodes is covered in post #36 in the LED thread referenced earlier by k-moe.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

A simpler way is to replace the turn signal indicator bulb (in the gauge cluster) with a polarized LED bulb (not all LED bulbs are polarized):

NOTE: when using any of these aftermarket flasher units on bikes with a single dash indicator bulb for the turn signals (XJ550 Maxim, XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and 1983-84 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim), it will be necessary to replace the stock incandescent dash indicator bulb with a polarized LED bulb.

HCP14788 Aftermarket solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will not work with LED signal bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be by-passed via the use of the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.

HCP16921 Aftermarket solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will work with both incandescent and LED signal bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be by-passed via the use of the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.

HCP353 Aftermarket heavy-duty, solid-state turn signal FLASHER. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will work with both incandescent and LED signal bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be by-passed via the use of the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.

HCP353A Aftermarket heavy-duty, solid-state turn signal ADJUSTABLE-SPEED FLASHER. Same as the HCP353 above, but this unit has an adjuster screw that allows you to set the frequency of the flasher on/off performance. For all XJ550, XJ650, all XJ750 non-X, all XJ900RK, RL, and N/FN models, and XJ1100 models. These units will work with both incandescent and LED signal bulbs. Plugs directly into the stock wiring harness 3-place flasher connector plug. Your original turn signal canceller unit will not operate properly with this style flasher, and it must be by-passed via the use of the HCP16880 adapter plug below. Will require the use of the HCP11105 or HCP15149 mounting grommet.

HCP16880 Aftermarket turn signal flasher self-canceller ADAPTER PLUG for use with our aftermarket turn signal flasher relays. The use of solid state aftermarket turn signal flasher units will defeat the original self-canceller unit, and in order for the aftermarket flasher relays to operate properly, you must bypass the original self-canceller unit. This completely "plug-and-play" adapter provides the proper ground path for the flasher relay, which the original self-canceller will not. Each:

HCP361NW Aftermarket turn signal warning WHITE LED BULB, for all 1980-81 XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, for use with any of our aftermarket turn signal flasher units above. Slightly brighter than stock incandescent bulb. Each:

HCP356NW Aftermarket turn signal warning WHITE LED BULB, for all 1981-83 XJ550 Maxim, 1982-83 XJ650 Maxim, and 1983 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, for use with any of our aftermarket turn signal flasher units above. Slightly brighter than stock incandescent bulb. Each:

k-moe likes this.
  9. XJ550H

removed info as it does not apply to led signals and diode harness

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  10. XJ550H

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

How can a bi-directional LED work if it requires the use of a diode harness? Although the title of the web page seems to suggest that they are load resistors, it is actually just a pair of diodes within the two signal wire leads. Doesn't a diode within the LED bulb (i.e. a "polarized" bulb) accomplish the same thing (w/o having to cut up a harness)?

Jdtrumpet likes this.
  12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

a guy could get fancy and use a RGB led and have different colors for left and right, incase you forget which way your turning :)

chacal and Jdtrumpet like this.
  13. Rooster53

The bi-directional LED would not require a diode harness, it would be plug and play if:

You could find an indicator LED that did not draw enough current so that it did not also illuminate the opposite side while producing enough light to be visible in the indicator position. The bi-directional LED would work fine if the flashers remained incandescent, but that is not usually the case. Remember here with the standard wiring the non flashing side bulbs are supplying the ground for the indicator bulb.

The diode within a polarized LED is the LED itself - they are naturally polarized just like a diode. To create a non-polarized LED a full wave bridge rectifier is used so that the polarity of the voltage applied to the LED (diode) is always the same, or in some lower current situations the LED's can be configured with opposite polarities, but these are typically different colors used as status indicators on electronic equipment.

14. XJ550H

my mistake it is the led you use with stock signals with a single indicator because it grounds through the unused blinker bulb then to ground.
    does not work with the diode harness. bi directional led would work but is not needed because of the diode harness and ground that is added.

15. XJ550H

and use the third color for when you are not turning incase you forgetyour not turning :confused:

Polock and MattiThundrrr like this.
  16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That would be useful around here. It can be a long time between turns.

17. Jdtrumpet

Jdtrumpet New Member

Hey Everyone,
    So, it seems I've been off here for a while! Sorry, life got busy.
    When this thread was active I bought all the needed parts and was ready to go, but I guess I had to wait a year to actually do the work!

Today I finishing installing all of the new LED signals and just like mentioned above from @Rooster53 I have 4 flashers instead of turn signals. So, I went back to the diode part (which is what intimidated me in the first place). Even though it was very clear where everything should be and what it looks like, I CANNOT find this Flasher. That being said, I think the speed is great right now, so maybe I don't need to?

So, here is my question. Where the hell do I install these diodes to get turn signals again? I've taken a couple pics of my bike to see if anyone can point out the actual spot. 83 Maxim 750.

Thanks for the help! IMG_3096.jpg IMG_8342.jpg

18. Rooster53

FU is doing a XJ550, but it looks to have a similar 9 pin connector as your bike. The connector will be inside the head light bucket, and you can use his example on how to do it or use the superbrightled link that also shows how to do it. One thing on FU write-up where he did the splice and used liquid electrical tape - I would suggest extracting the pin from the connector and using heat shrink.

19. Jdtrumpet

Jdtrumpet New Member

Perfect, once again thank you @Rooster53 ! I am happy to announce a big success! I’ve finished the project and everything works (even with my horrendous soldering job).
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

Rooster53 likes this.