1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

engine teardown averted thanks to help on here, "phew"

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bensalf, Apr 29, 2019.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all,
    so I decided to rebuild a spare engine I had , cos my original , (though running) had very low compression.
    rebuilt the spare, after stripping down to crankcases, checked all internals with a torch, checking for play and wear on the bottom half ,also starter clutch and primary drive.
    all seemed very good , - rebuilt top half with all new gaskets and seals. new cam chain, and re-did valve shims.
    changed the engine before an upcoming week long trip.
    started and all was great 140 -150psi compression on all four .
    had a run out (about 100 miles)all was great, with much more power than the other engine.
    had a second run out ,and the engine developed a top end rattle , really loud .
    immediately suspected cam chain or shim rattle
    adjusted cam chain, still same.
    decided to recheck shims, which were all good except no/3 exhaust ,which was just outside top limit
    so did a 40mile round trip for a larger shim, (on my scooter) replaced shim, rattle still same.
    also developed an oil leak on valve cover, so spent half a day cleaning up and refitting same .
    oil leak cured but rattle remained
    so had a closer look around , and searched for possible solutions here with a view to possibly swopping engine
    back, or stripping head off.
    then found a posting about loose header pipes causing a rattle very similar to shim rattle.
    lo and behold ,that was the cause, no/3 header was less than finger tight other 3 were all slack.
    caused by exhaust gaskets crushing and cooling, and slackening flange nuts.
    so thanks to an old post on here, emergency averted
    It just shows a quick search , can just point you in the correct direction

thanks everyone
    stu

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

..on the other hand you'd have noticed them when removing the exhaust to lift out the engine - wouldn't you?:cool:

Franz likes this.
  3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ..on the other hand you'd have noticed them when removing the exhaust to lift out the engine - wouldn't you?:cool:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yeh, that's true, :rolleyes:
    stu