1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1979 XS1100 Not a XJ900 but it will do for now

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 1, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have been looking for the XJ900 for some time in my area. I have had no luck for a project bike. But out of no place drops a full 79 XS1100 with both side covers and the adjustable back rest! I am very happy. Brakes are locked up and the gas smells like varnish, so normal for these bikes. Lots of work to be done and get some pics on here to show off the new toy and project.

Jetfixer and MattiThundrrr like this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Do for now?
    Are you nuts?
    An XS-11 is a keeper!

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Ya that is why I dropped everything I was doing to run and get the tailor and start the 2 hr drive. I will get her in the shop today and get some pics on here. Bike was garage kept and seems to be in good shape. The fun begins.

k-moe likes this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  5. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

The 1979 XS1100SF is my favorite. The downside is that it’s unique. Many parts are only for that one bike and like finding hens’ teeth. Yamaha dropped the parts catalog for that model. Someplace, I have a copy. I just have to find it. Good luck with it!

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Had a little issue with the carbs, but nothing that can't be taken care off. I was shocked to see the throttle body seals were good??? How was that possible..anyway, will finish up cleaning the carbs and have to solder one of the floats back on...don't ask.
    Got the tank all filled up with vinegar to take care of any issues in the tank. Carbs back together and run the AUX gas to her and see if she will run. I am guessing she will and then to the other normal stuff, valves, brakes and electrical.

7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Looks like a great find!!

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the carbs all taken care of today, all but putting throttle shafts back in. I had to order bowl gaskets as they were maybe original? The little hole at the bottom of the bowl took so long to open up. I had them soaking over night and still not open with air. Had to get the break loaf tie out and hit it with that. Took longer than I wanted it to, but they are good now.
    The solder job on the float went well, I thought I would have to get another set. With a little flame heat and being safe, it went on and even level with the other float.

Valve cover came off today and look clean inside with lots of good clean oil in the upper part of the engine. Did the clearance check and looks like someone must have just did them. They only messed up on the EX 3 & 4, the mixed up the shims. Good think I have at least one spare hanging around, I will swap them out tomorrow.

This bike has a vacuum advance on it, that will be interesting. I will be changing out all the hoses as they are very old. I will get some pics soon.

9. JetmechMarty

It has both vacuum and mechanical advance. When you get in there, be sure to clean and lube the mechanical advance.

k-moe likes this.
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on that. I know how nasty some of those can be, this one seems to have been in a good dry place or just had a good gasket on the cover. Interesting whey they would have both. The fuel "octopus" is really strange.I guess the early version of the vacuum one and off for the fuel.

11. k-moe

The octopus was intended to keep stuck floats from filling the crankcase with gas. It works.
    Has nothing to do with the vacuum petcock.

12. JetmechMarty

Agreed. No vacuum petcocks on 11 Special. The vacuum shutoff is a safety device. I elected to keep mine in working order. Many folks throw it away.

Jetfixer and k-moe like this.
  13. k-moe

Have you signed up at xs11.com?

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

What a beast.

The octopus works just like a standard vac-operated petcock, on the XS11 (and XJ1100 models) that used that system, you can just think of the octopus as the "back half" (the vacuum part) of a standard petcock. It still won't prevent flooding if all the other conditions (that cause flooding) are present...........

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am having it or miss luck over at the sx11.com site. They are either up or down and not constant in either one. I keep trying to get a much info as I can when it is up. I have not tried to sign up yet but will if I can ever time it when the site is up and running well.

Did the back brake today, had to use the grease gun trick to get the puck out. Once it was out, it was easy to polish on the wheel. The rubber gasket was okay but all the brake fluid had dried around the gasket and I would guess making is stick. Once I cleaned and polished it all, seems to work well. Interesting little bracket on the back right side of the swing are that hold the slave in place. Interesting getting it back in place. I also cleaned all the nasty old grease from inside the splines of the rear wheel. Plastic guard on this rear hub compared with the newer bikes went all aluminum.

I will gets some pics on here tomorrow, I was busting my butt between the bike and my food plot and the weather. All good now and more time for the bike. :)

16. JetmechMarty

XS11.com is broken. You can't join it right now. I don't know if it will get fixed or go away. It's a shame as there is a lot of valuable information over there. The site is still up and I believe you can search it without signing in.

17. k-moe

You can join. There is red text that leads the way. They closed the automated sign-up system to combat bot-spammers.

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Here are a few pics. This is the vacuum advance, I have not seen the mechanical one as listed above, but it could be hiding under the ignition pickup.
    [​IMG]DSCN0263 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0265 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Here is their version of the rear brake holder. A little interesting, but once you get the hang of it easy to go back in.
    [​IMG]DSCN0264 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Going to have to check the manual on this one, I know how to drain it but how to fill it? Must be the fill port just pops off?
    [​IMG]DSCN0266 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

19. JetmechMarty

On top of the rear drive is a vent. Don’t try to pull it off. Looking at the rear drive, at 3 o’clock there is a fill port. It opens with a hex key after you remove the black plastic cover. Remove it before you drain, just so you’ll know you can.

The bike came with a plastic dip stick in the original tool kit. There is probably little chance that it’s still there. Somewhere on XS11.com there is a template. Maybe somewhere on here? The rear drive is the same as the XJ1100.

Following the red letter instructions to get on XS11.com will get you nowhere. No admin is looking at the site at this time. I hope that changes.

k-moe likes this.
  20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Great thanks JetmechMarty, , I was going to look int the manual before I started that job, but ran out of time today. Got the front brakes all taken apart and cleaned. Nasty seal that more or less cleaned up well. Love the high speed polishing wheel I picked up from Harbor Freight. That and some gray polish really takes any blemishes off those brake pucks.

I will try to get on that sight tonight. Got to do more things for the aging folks first.