1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Posting Complete Copryrighted Literature Is Unlawful!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RickCoMatic, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

small excerpts and photos are allowed as it falls under educational or news reporting. the posting of links to full manuals or magizines is not.
    the xjbikes forum owners are the people who will be hit with the fines and possible shut down of the site for copyright violations. Terms and Rules

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.

if you go to xjcd.org you will see how they publish manuals. border line acceptable. “financial gain” is key to the law. xjcd is a non profit org. XJbikes is a money making web site due to ads it runs.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

another way to think about it is a small excerpt encourages people to go and buy a manual.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Excerpts for educational purposes are allowed.

4. k-moe

It's actually not borderline acceptable. Being a non-profit organization does not mean that the organization is not allowed to make a financial gain from selling something, and financial gain need not be present for a copyright violation to exist. Even if they made a loss they are still in violation for unauthorized reproduction. There have been many public schools who have had to deal with (and lose or settle) copyright lawsuits because of copying the pages of sample textbooks and using those copies in classrooms instead of buying the books.

The reason that XJCD hasn't been hit legally is because they have a small volume and aren't worth the time and expense of the copyright holders (they might not even be aware of their existance).

5. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

I must come clean....I am an owner of the XJCD set.......but also a owner of a hardcopy of the Yamaha XJ750J Service Manual.

I am a firm believer in buying an OEM factory service manuals for any auto or bike one owns.......

First time one uses to fix their machine.......well...it has paid for itself.......

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I own a copy of the original microfiche for the XJ service manual. I was planning on digitizing it but this thread makes me wonder if Yamaha will come looking for a pound of flesh if I post it here.

7. k-moe

Nevermind Yamaha. If posted here it will be deleted.

8. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

If it were mine, I’d digitize it. I used to copy my record albums onto cassette. Same difference. If you’re distributing or selling, we all know there is a problem with that. Since I’m not a lawyer, I’m not qualified to say here what’s legal and what isn’t. The bottom line is, if we think it might by wrong, it probably is.

I believe the XJ service manuals are still available from Yamaha at about $90 last time I checked. I like looking at a paper book. I have a lot of digital copies of my service manuals. I often print the pages I need.

I was browsing in a used book store a couple of years ago on a motorcycle ride. I discovered a brand new XS1100 service manual. I bought it for $5!

BTW, this site is a great resource and I don’t own a XJ anything. I’m all XS.
    ;)

Ryengoth likes this.
  9. k-moe

You are allowed to make a copy for personal use (this was decided by the U.S. Supreme Court during the emergence of home-video recorders).
    What you can't do is give that copy to anyone. The chances of getting caught handing a buddy a copy of the latest Def Leppard album are low, but once you put it on the internet for anyone to grab, you can expect a visit from an enforcement agency or a letter from a lawyer.

I'm not a copyright lawyer, but I do deal with copyright issues as a part of my profession.

fiveofakind and JetmechMarty like this.
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

When I arrived on this forum, a member was selling PDF copies of both the Yamaha XJ650 XJ750 Service Manual and Turbo supplement on CD's.

Your offer is against forum rules and U.S. copyright law. Regardless of what may have happened in the past, such sales are not allowed on this forum.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  11. k-moe

This is not a place to make offers, nor is this a debatable subject.
    I’m locking the thread.
    Further offers to distribute copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder will result in a ban.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.