1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj750 maxim no dash/headlights

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Winsleydale, May 12, 2019.

1. Winsleydale

Winsleydale New Member

Hi all,

I've been really enjoying the bike since I got it running, but I've run into a new issue.

The other day I took it on the freeway for the first time and after that, my speedo quit.

I took the Atari apart to clean and lube the mechanism, and replaced the dash bulbs and warning lights with LEDs while I was in there.

After putting everything together, making sure all wires and connectors matched, I have no headlight, no fog light, and no gauge lights. The signals and signal indicators, tail and brake light, and neutral indicator all work.

The headlight worked prior to this, and in fact it worked while everything was apart (plugged everything in before reassembly to check proper polarity on the LEDs) as well, and I know I didn't miss any connections...

Is there any component shared by all of these failed circuits??

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Senior moment - didn't read the title - see below for good advice and my apologies - thanks XJ550h for the reminder.

Gauge lights is a bit ambiguous and being a bit more specific here might help - meter back lights, high beam indicator, license plate light, or neutral light.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1
    Take it back to stock, see if it all works again. Then do one thing at a time to see what causes the fault.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

82 maxim750 does not have a headlight relay. the headlight is powered through the starter button. it comes on with the key and goes out when you press the starter button.
    the auxillery light and meter lights and high beam indicator are also powered by starter button . check your headlight fuse fuse.

the wiring for the headlight after the hi/lo switch goes to the Atari package then back to the headlight

Rooster53 likes this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

1983 Maxim 750 does not have an ATARI.

6. XJ550H

correct but we are talking about an 82 750 maxim.

the 83 750 maxim also does not have a headlight relay. headlight works the same way as an 82 except for the wiring to the Atari.

the 82 and 83 750 maxims have a unique right control that is shared with the 82 xj1100.
    the head light contact is in the starter button eliminating the headlight relay.
    this also means that you can not use the right control from a 750 seca as a substitute for the 750 maxims and the xj1100

7. Winsleydale

Winsleydale New Member

Okay bear with me if I sound ignorant, because I really struggle with electrical work.

So there's no relay to look for. Okay.

The power goes through the starter button. The bike starts fine so I assume (for now anyway) that the button is fine.

As fuses are concerned, my under-seat fuse block was replaced by some PO with inline blade fuses, all unmarked. They all seem to be good bit I will check again.

I also noticed what looks like a glass fuse in a plastic capsule in the headlight bucket... is this the important one?

8. XJ550H

I belive that the fuse you speak of is a 5 amp fuse used with the Atari packages but I do not know what it controls. it does have something to do with the lighting system as it shows up in the lighting wiring diagram

9. XJ550H

ignorance is allowed here. we will teach you so you will become less ignorant and more knowageable.
    we all learn together

Winsleydale likes this.
  10. Winsleydale

Winsleydale New Member

Well it turned out to be an easy fix. I checked again and found another inline fuse tucked behind the airbox. That one was blown, and its replacement solved my problem. Thanks guys!! Just goes to show I shouldn't be working on my bike at one in the morning...

11. XJ550H

2 am is a better time:confused:

label that fuse so you know what it is.

12. raskal

raskal Active Member

now that everything works again. Did you get the Speedo working again?

13. Winsleydale

Winsleydale New Member

Haha no I didn't... the cable turns with the front wheel so it looks like everything has to come back apart...

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ya. My brain read '83 instead of '82.