1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj 750 seca fuel system fuel lines

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Keaton william Rhoades, May 14, 2019.

1. Keaton william Rhoades

Keaton william Rhoades New Member

Hello, i recently bought myself an xj 750 seca to fix up but It's missing some fuel lines, i have a repair manual but it doesn't specify where all the tubing for the fuel system goes. I have the petcock fitted to the carb but then fuel starts leaking from the air cleaner and im not quite sure how to fix that or if i should have a tube coming from the air cleaner and where that should go. do anyone have tips?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the sight! You will find all kinds of information on the site so take some time to do searches for the information you need.

We would like a little history on the bike, how long has it been sitting and if it was stored inside or was a barn find? The short answer for the carbs is that the bloat bowls are stuck causing the fuel not to shot off when it reaches the top of the bowls. This is what causes fuel to run out of the carbs. You can tap the fuel bowls with something but not too hard to try and free the bowls. Making sure you turn the gas petcock off when not around the bike.

Bottom line you "should" pull the carbs and run though them of the bike has been sitting for a long time. The fuels turns into gunk and plugs the holes and passages inside the carbs. Just spraying carb cleaner in there will not get it clean. It will however dry up and cause the rubber in there to crack and give you more issues with air leaks.

The top right of the page as a icon "xj4ever" inside you will find so much info, please take the time to do some reading in there. You will find so many great ideas and answers in there as well.

3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

There is one fuel line. It goes from petcock to carbs. That's it. It's a gravity feed system, there really not much to it.

There is also a vacuum line that goes from petcock to one of the intake boots. Should not have fuel in it.

AIR cleaner. Not FUEL cleaner. If you have fuel coming out if it, something is wrong, and it's not a missing tube.

Generally, gasoline spewing out of places where it shouldn't indicates carb problems. Sticky needles, leaky needles, leaky o-rings, float levels out of whack.

Sounds like you are in for a carb rebuild.

Chitwood likes this.
  4. Keaton william Rhoades

thank you and fas for the history of the bike from what i was told the bike had been sitting in a garage for about 5 years not being touched the guy i bought it from said he typically did work on 2 stroke motors and never got around to dealing with the 4 stroke

but it sounds like ill be in for a fun weekend rebuilding this carburetor.

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

If it sat for years, i would highly recommend buing carb kits for them before you even tear them apart.
    Read "church of clean" its in k-moes tag
    By the way your rebuilding 4 ! carburetorS this weekend!

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Agreed. Carbs need to come off an get worked on.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do not buy any carb kits. inspect parts when you dissemble the carbs. expect to start with buying all the seals and o rings and the washers for the mixture screws. all your jets can be cleaned..
    float valve assemblies will be on the list too maybe you just need the float needles.
    if mixture screw springs are rusty replace them too.
    xj4ever for the carb parts

8. Keaton william Rhoades

alright ill check out that forum post as well as buying those base parts to get everything set to do this rebuild right

9. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Ya gas in air box = Stuck float needles.

If you haven't, change the oil before you run it for a long time as well. Most likely gas in that as well.

10. Keaton william Rhoades

alright so I was finally in the process of disassembly and I think I might need to buy a completely new carb since one of the float arm mounts actually has a crack in it