1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Iron butt association

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by joe elliff, May 21, 2019.

1. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

are there any “iron butt association “ members here, in the forum , who have accomplished the ride on an xj?

I am very much considering doing this with my 750 touring bike soon. I’m just concerned with the overall health of a 40 year old bike making this journey which is usually a young bikes game.

Thoughts??? Advice???

2. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I guess I’m asking.... is the xj up to 14 hours of a solid 75-80 mph out of 16-17 hours. Well. There’s 24 hours allowed for 1000 miles but I’d rather not do a lot of night time riding if I can keep from it

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I did yrs ago (2001) on a Seca 750. From Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan to the Richmond VA area. Just over the 1k mark in the 24 hrs range. I was sore for days and my body was tingling for a while. I do not recommend it for safety reasons. All the classes on riding have taught me to have a clear rested mind when you ride.

On the ride every time I stopped for gas I got coffee. The night riding was hard and I found myself getting tired and thinking of getting a room. I almost drove into the back of a truck once as I was so tired my reaction times slowed.

As for the bike, ran like a dream and I had no issues at all. If I remember that bike I had added a oil cooler to it.

Stumplifter likes this.
  4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I'm with Timbox. The bike is up to it but I doubt I would be, especially if you're not used to long rides.

Stumplifter likes this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I used to do Tsawwassen to Calgary 980 kilometres in 9 hours when I was 18.
    Tsawwassen to Osoyoos in under 4
    Most of it at 130+ kph with 5 gas stops on my 72 xs650. Wouldn’t try that now if you paid me.

Franz likes this.
  6. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Both time I have done the 1000/24 it has been 19.5 hours staying around the 65mph mark, this was on a bike which required a fuel stop no more than every 100 miles which is what costs you the time, it becomes more of a mental thing than physical and the majority of that riding was through the night

7. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

I haven’t looked into it in a few years but aren’t there different “levels” other than the 1000/24?

8. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Several levels of Iron Butt rides. "Butt Burner", "Butt Burner Gold" which is, I think 1500 miles in 24 hours. Lots of ways of self inflicting discomfort. Last week I rode my 650 Seca 616 miles, upstate NY to Cary, NC in about 14 hours. Only about 30 miles of interstate and pretty casual pace. It was not difficult and something I do a couple of times a summer. By the end the wind blast off the Maier handlebar fairing directly on my helmet was getting pretty tiresome. I am 63 years old (how the heck did that happen?!) and it is not as casual as it used to be. Will the bikes do it? Sure. Mid-40's gas mileage and no oil used. Have fun, be safe, good luck with your Iron Butt.
    John

joe elliff likes this.
  9. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Yes. Several levels for the iron butt ride. My son is coming into town in a week or so and we have chatted about doing the “ Iowa ride” for the iron butt. 1030 miles. I live about 30 miles from one of the entry/exit points at Bettendorf ia
    Thanks John

10. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    If you want the official Iron Butt certificates and such the documentation is key, and appears somewhat tedious. And not cheap. I am not sure what the fees are these days as I have not looked into it for something over 10 years. Pretty cool having the license plate surround though. And I have seen it recommended to do the night portion of the ride first while you are fresh. As opposed to starting in the morning daylight and being way tired by the time it gets dark. That made sense to me. Primarily..... Have Fun!
    John

ps, I think the hardest part is going to be finding a non-hazardous weather window.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1 for the night time first. I can't stress enough to be in good shape as well. Cardio and a good tested motorcycle butt before you start. Wearing correct clothing too as in nothing with seams along the leg back side area to get tender. Sitting that long with something that will be or get uncomfortable will not do. Compression shorts have no seam in that area and breath well. I know it sound silly, it will help.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you're interested in planned stops, and sticking close to home, there is no route requirement. The 1000/24 can be done as a loop, or multiple laps of a loop.

13. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

How many times can i ride the loop around my county, turning constantly left, before insanity sets in :D

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

In the states if you do that with a race car they call that something...hmmm....lol

ColoradoDan likes this.
  15. k-moe

That's part of why my favorite loop isn't in the same state as I am, let alone county.

Ooo, look. The cow moved from where it was the last time I rode by, and the irrigation boom is ten foot further to the right.

At least you have mountains nearby to look at.

ColoradoDan and Rooster53 like this.
  16. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

turn around then you will turn right

ColoradoDan likes this.
  17. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Oooohhh. NASCAR. With a twist!! Lmao

18. XJ550H

you should read the requirments they talk about speeding

19. k-moe

Those are Interstate (and some Highway) speed limits in most of the middle states.
    Now he won't average those speeds when fuel stops are accounted for, but he will spend most of his time near or at those speeds.

XJ550H likes this.
  20. XJ550H

It would be a sore spot to ride 1000 miles and not get the credit,

k-moe likes this.