1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alcohol in fuel and bumping main and pilot jets up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Moosekick, May 28, 2019.

1. Moosekick

Moosekick New Member

82 Seca XJ650RJ

Going to tear down my carbs and replace throttle shaft seals, fuel pipe o-rings, complete rebuild. Bike has run kind of lean since new, Have done several partial tear downs since new but never separated the carburetors. Thinking of setting it up with slightly larger main and pilot jets. Was wondering if 10% alcohol content in local fuel justifies a bump up in jets? As of now I'm thinking of going with a 112 main and 43 pilot, similar to UK and Canadian XJ650 models over the stock 110 main and 40 pilot. I realize that the US Seca has a Y-10 needle that is richer throughout its range than the needles used in some UK models (Y-11). I think that the Canadian models use the Y-10 needle. Would be good to hear others thoughts about effect of alcohol content on jetting and the use of a 112 main, 43 pilot and Y-10 needle combination? I'm thinking that combination would probably not result in an excessively rich mixture?

2nd question: How do I place an order in the parts catalog?

2. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Just send a PM to Chacal; that's how I placed my order. He replies ASAP and mentions stuff you might have missed.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Going up with 2 sizes bigger jets should be fine , chacal will send you a code and you can send the money via PayPal. using the code , seems strange the first time but after many orders easy peasy .

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

bikes were kinda lean from factory.
    just bump pilot jets
    http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs

or go to www.xj4ever.com and use email posted there

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You don't need to increase jet sizes in order to run E-10. The whole point of E-10 is to not need to make any changes to a fuel system in order to use it.
    You can rejet to Canadian specs if you like, but there will be a slight decrease in fuel mileage.

XJ550H likes this.
  6. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

My 700 jetted up for pods n header averages 120 km full to reserve, 9 or so L driving MY normal (fairly hard on the old twist grip when accelerating.)
    This translates to roughly 7.5L/100km or 31.5 mpg for our american friends.
    Considering i dont worry about fuel economy, Im all for the Smiles per gallon! Thats pretty good in my opinion!

XJ550H likes this.