1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1979 XS1100 Not a XJ900 but it will do for now

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, May 1, 2019.

1. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

XS650 1977 and newer, XS750, XS850, XS1100 all have the same speedometer. Only the top speed is different.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks, if she does not work I will have to find a replacement. End of the project is coming up, dragging my feat a little bit not wanting it to be over. I could go nuts with the chrome and really cleaning it up, but that is not really me. I love to bring them back to life!

JetmechMarty likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took her for a nice little ride, about 10 miles today. I think I have the jet set a little lean, as when I get on her after 5 K RPM she does not seem to want to go. Either that or I will have to go up one or two on the main jet. I have no idea if the PO ran her with the current jet set up with the UNI air filter and the 4-1 exhaust.

As for the speedo, it did work today, not as fast as the newer bikes but I could tell I was going aprox the speed limit of the road. The tack was a little jumpy but that could resolve its self as well.

Going to pull the plugs in the morning and see how white the plugs are. I am guessing it is too lean on the top end. I might have to pull the carbs again or make sure that my fuel lines are not hindering the flow of fuel. I know the carbs are wet set right, so they are not starving for gas because of the fuel height.

This is a nice road bike and feels really good on the back Wisconsin roads. Not as good as the BMW I have been working on but that is like comparing apples and oranges.

Chitwood likes this.
  4. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Sometime you should bring one down and ride the kettle moraine with me...

5. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

The tacho could be jumpy because of a faulty reg/rec or more commonly the connector from the reg/rec to the alternator. It can get hot where the connector joins and starts melting it.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

It seems the only real issues with these bikes is the electrical issues. I still can't track down that oil light issue. I have no idea how it is grounding out and keeping the light on. I will just keep an eye on the oil and ignore the light.

Tail light and headlight bypass. Light relay and Reserve lighting unit removed. I have to say the bike does drive very nice. It will stay with me for a while.

7. JetmechMarty

Once sorted, the electrics on these are reliable. Due to fire, I put a used harness on mine. Now, I’m dealing with corrosion issues. The one issue with these is the flexing wires in the ignition advance. They break. I can think of no other chronic issue. In you case, someone futzed with it. My pressure switch went bad and I had to replace it.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I wish it was the pressure swx, but that is working fine. I have traced it to the warning light panel and that is where I stopped. I just figure it is better to be left alone at this point. Easy to see the oil level from the side and I always check that before I ride. I know it is not the best but for now it is just to get me by. Still a few little gremlins to chase down.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took her out for a good ride today, wow does she have some get up and go. Still wondering if the sitting in bike is for me. I think I might have to send her down the road. I will ride her a little more and then see if the XS or the Seca wins for my Yamaha ride.

10. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I would venture to guess that the 1100 has more get up and go but the seca is more nimble?

Timbox likes this.
  11. JetmechMarty

Superbike bars, rearsets from Fast From the Past, and reupholster the seat to look like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^ That is a nice looking seat. I took the bike for a longer right and the power band on the low in is great. I am still having issues above 5K RPM. I am guessing that the main jet needs to go up at least one size. I think the PO changed out the air filter and put a 4-1 on it and never changed the jets. I adjust the pilot jet again and see what I come up with.

I also am confused why after the carb cleaning to include the throttle body seals I have some idle issues. It tends to hand around 3k.

That 4-1 is a LOUD exhaust though...lol

13. JetmechMarty

texavina.com has seat options for '79 Special.

[​IMG]

Franz and MattiThundrrr like this.
  14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^That is a nice looking bike, I could understand that seat and handle bar choice. One would think the for rest would have to be moved bad a bit but I guess it would depend on the person.

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am liking the way those straight bars look on this bike. I see you have modded the front end with some blue dot calipers, do tell what you have done to that front end. Brakes and rosters really nice.

17. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Thanks Tim. The handlebars are 7/8 inch Renthal motocross, the forks and wheel are from a XJR1200 and the brake calipers are from another Yamaha, probably a first generation XJR1300 or R1 or something. The headlight is a 2H7/2H9 XS1100 square type. Rotors are by Japanese firm TourMax and master cylinder another XJR1200 item. Almost forgot, there's a small spacer between the top yoke and the top bearing.
    Also unlinked the front left brake and the rear so that each brake lever operates it's intended calipers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  18. JetmechMarty

The last photo I posted, and this one are from the Texavina site. It just shows how you can modify the bike just a by opening your wallet. With just the seat and bars changed, the visual change is pretty dramatic, IMHO.
    [​IMG]

Timbox likes this.
  19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Holy moly, that first Texavina seat looks awesome! What a huge difference to the bike!

20. JetmechMarty

Unfortunately, Texavina doesn’t have any seats for XJ models. They have the XS line covered well.