1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Motorcycles - up to '96

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Those are tough to beat...

3. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

this week I installed a new used exhaust collector ,[ PO cut the angle off for straight out slip on's]
    and ome mufflers. $134-ebay. and new bridgestone spitfire's RWL tires.
    before :
    upload_2019-5-26_19-55-37.jpeg
    after:
    upload_2019-5-26_19-56-32.jpeg

k-moe, Timbox, Jetfixer and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Much better...personally I do not like the slash cut mufflers. I bought a stock exhaust earlier this year is in great shape except down pipes were rusted , cleaned them up and painted with high temp barbeque black I really like how they turned out . Your bike looks great!!!!

5. Jetfixer

My wife left me alone for the last 3 days :D worked in garage mostly on my bike , finished my spare set of carbs . Today I put them on and was happy fired up , put my pro motion synch on and it was not far off. Took them back off and put back on the other set of carbs , was actually a good thing I did this the vacuum line at the petcock was split:eek: so that is fixed . Bike running soooooo good . Now have put my 3rd set of carbs back together, this set is just parts .

Dadoseven and 650MAX like this.
  6. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

Bought a stator removal bolt and a secondhand (original) fuel tank.

7. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Replaced my headlight. Someone had updated it previously as it had a Maxtor H4 light, but the lens was real cloudy inside. I worked on it some with paper towels and a paint stick. Got it decently clear but then I could see that the reflector was also pretty cloudy. Cleaning that didn't go so well and I stopped when I saw a spot changing from silver to gold. Decided I'd stick the bulb back in and see how it looked, but the mounting flange came loose from the bulb and that's when I just said eff it and took a drive over to Summit Racing in Arlington. Had been wanting to check that place out since they opened anyway. Cool place, man it's huge! Got my new Hella Vision Plus and picked up a 0-15 psi air pressure gauge for setting my fork pressure.

That was yesterday. Today, I installed aforementioned light and then carried right on into doin my fork seals. Just pushing the bike around the shop and hitting the front brake, the front of the bike would dive terribly. From like one mile an hour speed, lol. Unsurprisingly, there was very little oil in the forks, and what was in there looked like mud. Tearing all that stuff down wasn't too bad, but I had a hard time getting the old seals out of the first fork. Mostly because I was being careful and didn't want to damage the aluminum housing. After I got that apart and saw how everything went, I decided my tire iron would be the perfect tool for the job, and it sure was. That thing popped those seals out in seconds.

IMG_1163[1].JPG

Also worked out a little trick with the fork caps. I fought with them a bit coming apart, but going back together I did it on the bike and used a wrench on the handlebar along with a socket to push the cap down. Might not want to do that if you have beautiful new handlebars, but that's not a problem on my bike ;) Left side was even easier than the right side in the picture. I was able to cam the wrench into place so I didn't even have to hold it while I installed the retainer.

IMG_1160[1].JPG

Wow, what a difference since the forks are done! It actually feels like I have shocks now and the bike might ride alright. Unfortunately I used 10W fork oil since I didn't read about going to 15W until just earlier today. I suppose I can change it out later if I feel it needs it. Also the o-rings that seal the fork caps are in sad shape and they don't seem to want to hold air pressure. I measured them up and will pick up some new o-rings at the local bearing supply place tomorrow.

Dadoseven, Jetfixer and Lodewijk like this.
  8. 650MAX

650MAX Member

Replaced start/neutral relay. Neutral light was coming on when I pulled the clutch lever. Diagnosed the problem using the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual and confirmed a bad diode with the multimeter. Found a relay on Ebay for a good price, the new part checked good on the multimeter and BAM, took about a minute to replace it. Neutral light now ONLY comes on when the bike is actually in neutral, yay!

k-moe, Timbox, chacal and 1 other person like this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

it is a nice skill to be able to read a wiring diagram.

Jetfixer and 650MAX like this.
  10. XJ550H

that would be a nice forum reading and interpreting wiring diagrams

11. 650MAX

650MAX Member

It was very satisfying to correctly diagnose and correct the problem using the manual. Especially since I had little or no luck finding solutions to the first couple of things I looked for. I don't know if it's a matter of me getting better with the book or if I just had the right thing to look for this time, but color me happy! It was a great confidence booster and made me feel like I can find the info I need next time a problem comes up.

Of course being able to ask you guys and get a solid answer is great too!

12. XJ550H

learning is the best part of asking questions.

chacal likes this.
  13. Jetfixer

OMG finally a nice evening with no rain and warm ...wife said I should go for a ride for half an hour while she cooked dinner( actually love my wife) went out on back roads , there is an S turn as I come out of it see a turtle in road , busy road pulled over and put little fella in weeds ..did my good deed. Felt so good to ride without dodging rain clouds.

14. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

A dry ride in spring before dinner with the wife's blessing and you saved a turtle, sometimes life is good.

MattiThundrrr, Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  15. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Lending my machine to a friend so he and his wife could go for a ride for the first time on separate machines.

16. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Rode my bike to work today for the first time this season. Normally a 30-40 minute commute, half on the interstate. Beautiful day!
    Planned an alternative route using back and side roads with scenic views on 2 lanes and some twists and turns that would have taken about 1:15. After 15 minutes in, get to road closures due to flooding that were open a few hours before. Couldn’t get across the river. Had to turn around and instead was met with a 1:15 ride through town with traffic and too many stop-lights.

Grumble grumble. The bike wanted to go faster and accelerate, but cars and many stops got in the way.

Despite that, she ran beautifully.

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

tore off my carbs and cleaned them.......normal maint.....if one does not run the bike for a month or so.......the ethanol ( 10% ) out here in CA. with plug the pilot jets up in no time.....

So off they come...easy to clean if periodically done....

Dadoseven and Jetfixer like this.
  18. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

I def. did something to my Yamaha today. Namely, I bought my brother-in-law's Honda CB 900 F2 (1982). In my defense, for $1000 I get a running bike and a spare as a parts donor. I just hope she can forgive me.

Jetfixer likes this.
  19. Jetfixer

Think I will put up a turtle crossing sign short ride and a bigger turtle in the middle of the road , was a quick little devil put him in the weeds , and went for short ride ...clouds looking angry and wind kicking up.

20. 650MAX

650MAX Member

I made some adapter sleeves today and finally mounted up my used Harley shocks. The picture shows the steel adapter bushings that I made, the original and Harley rubber bushings, and one of my original rubber bushings installed into the narrowed Harley shock. I actually had it together without the adapters, but the Harley eye is a bit larger diameter which made for a loose fit on the rubber pieces. The adapters are there to take us the slack and I tapered them to help keep the rubber centered up.

IMG_1220[1].JPG

I think that about wraps it up until I can get it out on the street and find the things I can't discover by just idling here in the shop. Hopefully it's all good to go! Here's what I've done so far...

Check and adjust valve lash
    Replace both tires
    Check rear brake shoes
    Replace front brake pads
    Replace front brake hoses
    Replace fork seals/change fork oil
    Change engine oil
    Change final drive oil
    Replace missing rear turn signal lights
    Replace horn
    Replace headlight
    Replace neutral/clutch safety starter relay
    Paint the tank and side covers
    Clean and polish engine side covers

Not bad I think for the first 5 weeks of ownership of my first motorcycle ever, lol. Soon as I can just get my damn health insurance squared away I'll get out and burn up some gas!

Jetfixer likes this.