1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Logun kohen's 81 650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Logun koehn, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

I just bought a 81 xj650 po said it he suspected there was car oil in the crank case due to clutch slipping so i changed the oil and filter. (There was nearly a gallon of what i presume is in fact car oil). I put in a little over 2.5L of valvoline 20w-50 4 stroke motercycle oil and now the starter wont engage for more then a second? Could the oil change cause this ?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Please start a thread for your bike.
    More info in needed. Could be the oil, but probably isn't.
    Please refrain from asking the same question in multiple threads. That causes all sorts of problems with keeping the diagnosis clear.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

As long as oil was JASO certified oil car oil can be used , used to run Valvoline 10w40 conventional oil in my Kawasaki 550 with no problem. Does it catch at all or not engaging at all. You can try to pull starter and spray starter clutch face down with brake or carb cleaner ( you can barely see starter clutch) then drain oil reinstall starter fill back with oil and see if it catches. My 750 Seca slips when engine is hot . If it is truly toast then engine will have to have case split to repair.

4. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

I am unsure if it was JASO certified oil the po had in the crank case. Also it will engage for a second or two then spin witch leads me to belive the oil change is some how the root of the problem? Constering it started fine untill then. I appreciate the reply thank you

5. k-moe

If it got worse after the oil change then it's not the oil. The oil you used is JASO complaint. IF it were slipping before the oil change, then I'd suspect that the old oil was the problem.
    Have you checked the battery voltage?
    Have you cleaned the starter nad replaced the brushes?
    Do you need help with starting a thread for your bike? I can start one for you so we can avoid mixing two unrelated machines together in one thread.

6. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Yes if you could start a thread for my that would be awesome also new battery and checking for forum for more info on how to go about cleaning starter

7. k-moe

Here ya go.
    Replacing your starter motor brushes w/ pics

Now it's not impossible that the oil that was in there was a friction modified synthetic and that enough of it is still in the crankcase that it's still ausing some slipping. An oil change usually clears that up though. Oftentimes issues with neglected bikes are caused by multiple things at once, so making sure that the electrical side of things is in the best shape possible is not a waste of your time.

It won't be a bad idea to drain the oil again (save it for another vehicle) and spray carb cleaner onto the starter clutch while you have the starter out (the starter clutch is forward of the starter, right behind the alternator (big round cover between the carbs and the cylinders). Put in new oil, dosed with Seafoam (as per the directions on the can). That will get rid of any residual too-slippery oil, and clean out any sludge that might be sitting in the oil pan.

One thing that you might do before going much further is to do some reading (Read This First) and get a good overview of the whole process of refurbishing an XJ, just so you can have some things in mind as you work and start noticing other things that may need attention.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    hogfiddles and Chitwood like this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when you take out the starter you should consider cleaning spraying the starter clutch area while you have starter out

9. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Thank you for the thread and all the help im so glad i found this forum. I appreciate all help/input i will order a stsrter rebiuld kit tonight. Any suggestion on where and what to get would be great as i have seen multiple ones that look like they include diffrent parts ??

10. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Also i apologize for asking the same question in multipul threads. I was unsure if this forum was still used. I am also new to useing forums and was in a bit of a panic when my bike wouldent start. LOL

11. k-moe

Start a conversation with @chacal. He has all of the correct parts in stock.

12. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Hello again everybody. back with more qestions. Im wondering if i should try cleaning my starter clutch befor i rebiuld my starter? And possibly see if that fixes the problem. Or should i just rebiuld my starter anyways. Also last time i used valvoline full synthetic 20w-50 motorcycle oil should i use somthing diffrent.
    If my current oil i used is fine. could i drain the oil out of the bike then clean starter clutch with brake cleaner and reuse that oil.
    Do i have to flush the crank case after cleaning starter clutch with break cleaner if so how do i go about doing so

13. k-moe

You have to pull the starter to clean the starter clutch. Do both.
    I'm not sure that the oil you used is JASO MA compliant. You did not mention that it was full-synthetic earlier.
    If you do not see a JASO reference or emblem on the container, then don't use it.

Choosing Oil for a Wet Clutch Motorcycle

[EDIT] According to Valvoline the oil does meet or exceed JASO MA2, so you can use it.
    1133c41e-92bb-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  14. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Can someone please give me a detailed step by step of how im supposed to go about cleaning my starter clutch. Confuzed on the whole prosses.
    Rebiulding the starter tonight

15. k-moe

1. Remove the starter motor.
    2. Through the hole for the starter nose, spray carb cleaner towards the front of the engine (you can feel the idle gear with your finger to give you an idea of where the starter clutch is. The clutch is forward of that gear, directly to the right (as sitting on the bike) of the alternator (which is behind the big round cover on the left side of the engine).
    3. Put the starter back on.

I know that your oil is listed as being JASO MA2 complaint, but since you say that the problem got worse after using it it may be advisable to change it out for a non-synthetic. Unfortunately, unless Valvoline had JASO test their oil (and paid the royalty to have the JASO emblem on the bottle) all we have is their say-so that it actually meets the standard. I know that Rotella T4 (on synthetic) and Valvoline's non-synthetic both work in my machine (I prefer the Rotella because of the additive package it has).

Has the starter motor been serviced?

Keep in mind all of this may not solve the problem. These are the easiest things to do first, since if the starter clutch is in need of rebuild you have to split the engine cases.

Logun koehn likes this.
  16. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

I am rebiulding the starter tonight. Also after i clean the starter clutch should i do an oil change run it and then change the oil again or would one oil change do the trick

17. k-moe

Just one oil change is usually enough.

18. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Should i drain the exsiting oil from the crank case befor i clean the starter clutch so it can be saved or should it stay in there to wash out any sludge and break cleaner when i drain it ??

19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if the oil is in question why save it ? drain after cleaning starter clutch. get some rotella T4 12 to 14 $ a gallon. walmart sells it most auto supply stores do as well

cgutz and k-moe like this.
  20. Logun koehn

Logun koehn New Member

Ive been looking online for owners manuals but have found several is there one that has more information about repairs and such. Again i have a 1981 xj650 maxim

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019