1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pick up coil for '80 XJ650??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wanktakeit, Apr 30, 2018.

1. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

Yes they are

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

1 and 4 are on one coil, and 2 and 3 are on the other. So pickups and the TCI module are definitely not part of the problem here. Most likely carburetors. Should check compression and valve clearance, though, since that's easy to check, and if you have a compression problem you'll need to fix that before doing anything on the carbs.

3. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

Has new piston rings and associated gaskets last year.....

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

That makes carbs sound even more likely, since it's very likely that compression would have been checked and valves adjusted while everything was apart to do rings...

5. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

Good news!! The bike lives and runs like a bat outta h*ll!!!! Better than it did last year! I think it might have been a combination of the carbs and grounding issues. But oh well. Thanks for all the input!

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Others will be reading this thread in the future. What was the solution to your problem?

7. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

I honestly don't know. Like I said, I think it was a combination of the carbs and grounding issues.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

so did you clean up any grounds?

9. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

I replaced the frame to motor ground and added another ground from battery to frame. And cleaned all the connections for the ignitor and alternator.

XJ550H likes this.
  10. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

So now a year later, I had an idea and ran with it. I used coils off a GM 3.8L engine. The bike starts, runs, idles and has WAY more power than it ever did. So the new coils I had bought last year apparently have an internal issue. And I did open the carbs back up, and I did find the top of the diaphragm on #4 did move and made a huge vacuum leak. So thank you to all for your help and I deal. Pics are of my mods IMG_20190602_164516167.jpg IMG_20190602_164516167.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

You dont want to get bit by those coils! They are capable of producing up to 80k volts! Theres also a ton of them around new and used. Would have never thought to use those coils.

12. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

Chitwood, I'm thinking I'm gonna sell the bike and get the XS650, cuz there's a ton of aftermarket parts for that bike.....this is only to get it running, and try and ride for the season.

13. k-moe

The SX650 is slower and less comfortable. But there are a lot more aftermarket parts for them.

Chitwood likes this.
  14. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Yes there's more aftermarket/will fit whatever you want to manufacture parts out there for an XS, and they're chain drive. Well the 650's anyway. I have buddy's who have xs650's and they dont have near the power, acceleration, or smooth running that I do on my xj. Yea mine doesnt look like theirs (chopped, raked, stretched, etc) but I have no problem staying in front of them. Food for thought.

15. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

The XS400 is chain drive also, once you get into the 750 and 850 triple, that's where you see shaft drive. I would know, I have an old XS750 motor. I was gonna use it to build a go cart around. But there is a big bore kit to make a 650 into a 750 twin.

16. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

It's been awhile since I posted anything about this bike. I finally got my XJ running like it's supposed to. It was the CDI box. Half of it died. I ordered one from rectifiers and regulators, and it solved all the problems. I also had to install a jet kit as well, because of the tuning curve in the box. I had purchased a used CDI box on ebay, and the bike ran like it did before. So something happened inside to drop spark on half the motor. And because of the 'rona, I only put about 100 miles, if that on it, before I got snow in my area. So that's what I got figured out on my old beater of a bike! The jet kit also makes it sound a little more meaty than what it is. Can't wait to ride it this coming year!

17. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

I'd check the primary resistance of those GM car coils, if you're still using them. Many of them are around 1.5 or 2 ohms, which is far too low for the ignitors of these bikes. The coils draw too much current and the ignitor pegs out. The coils should have a primary resistance of 3 ohm minimum.

k-moe likes this.
  18. k-moe

More noise does not mean more power. The jet kit might not really give you what you want, so be prepared to do some more tuning once the weather allows.
    You are making progress though.
    Keep at it.

19. wanktakeit

wanktakeit New Member

I'm using stock coils again, ordered a new set when I got the new cdi box. And before I did the jet kit, the bike was in a very lean state. There was a lot of popping from the exhaust. I know a bike shop thats been helping me with all this. Even he agreed it was very lean. And I do appreciate all the help you guys have give me over the last 2 years with this problem child!! Lol

20. bktp

bktp New Member

Where is this magical and mystical place "ordered one from rectifiers and regulators"
    I need TID14-08
    5V2-10
    would love a either a pickup plate and coils too, coils if available.
    Help please