1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil pan thread damaged

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by zeus, Jun 13, 2019.

1. zeus

zeus New Member

Hello,

I have damaged my XJ600 51J oil pan thread - a real nightmare. So, in order to have the dripping oil pan sorted, I have two options to consider: 1. rebuild the thread or 2. just seal the oil drain hole and use an oil extractor pump in the future.

Rebuilding the thread (option 1) would be clearly more expensive and time consuming way, since I would need to remove the whole engine to access the oil pan. The 2nd option would be rather simple, but replacing oil in the future requires therefore more "messing around".

What would you suggest?

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Option 1.....NAPA and even Autozone sell a kit to repair the threads and you should not have to pull pan , even if you opt to do so , the exhaust will need to be dropped but engine can stay in place. If the threads are cross threaded a thread chaser is another option .

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

All sound advice. Another option is a replacement oil pan.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Note that the oil pan can be removed with the engine still in the frame. That's true for earlier XJs anyway, and I dont't think the later fremes are all that different along the lower rails.

Personally I'd start with a thread chaser, and then move on to a repair kit.

Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member