1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

76 rd200 magic bullet

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Vinjap4fun, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

It's 1989, a woman whose name will remain unidentified, is draining the fuel and getting her beloved rd200 ready for the cold weather,she finishes up and hurries inside to warm up.

Fast forward to September 2017, a colleague and I are finalizing the bill for a property cleanup in the rural area of town. We did a lot more work than what we had estimated the bill to be, so we looked at me and let the homeowner her bill. As her eyes widen, she exclaimed that's more than we thought! it was a little bit more than the estimate, but we also discounted so much because we felt bad, as she knew she was still getting a bargain, she pointed towards a falling down Barn in the back of her property And asked us if anything in there could help her make up the difference. We pop the barn door open to find almost absolutely nothing, but I catch the shimmer of a couple spokes in the way back corner of the barn and lo and behold it's the magic bullet she parked in 1989! Upon observing our instant excitement, she scurried to the house quickly to return with a signed title. We loaded it up and brought it home. I'm finally getting a spot cleared to where I can have ample space and time to treat her right. I believe there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than it has been sitting for close to thirty years. The motor is stuck, but it doesn't scare me one bit! you'll tell the difference in the pictures from the first day we pulled it out of the barn and the second day when we washed it. This weekend, she will earn her spot in the main garage and begin her life as my nostalgia town bee bopper.

Attached Files:

2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    That looks like a great deal and huge fun. The proper way would be to tear it down and clean the internal bits up and make everything free and nice. I bet a few days with PB Blaster or similar in the cylinders and crankcase would free it up and it would run with the standard carb clean and fresh gas. Good luck!
    Ciao,
    John

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

1/2 Trans fluid and 1/2 acetone to break it free. Let it sit for a good week. That combo broke lose a old Honda V4 for me. As you may already know, don't use the electric start to try to turn it over, use a wrench on the end of the crank. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Looks good. If the motor doesn't run that windshield should make an adequate sail, thing is huge!

5. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Def a fun project, and I'm anxious to go go go, patience was never my strong point, although this project demands it. I've got trans fluid, diesel fuel, oil mix in my cylinders with a breaker bar on the crank. I have a 10' steel pipe on the breaker bar, with a cinder block hanging off the end of the pipe, suspended about 2 1/2" off the ground. As soon as my block hits the floor, I can slowly work it loose from there. Hahaha, and believe that the windshield was the first to come off and go on the shelf. I am a power boater, not a blow boater! Thanks for the interest in this thing too fellas. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinks this is a pretty rad ride! I still cant get over how beautifully the original paint has survived

6. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

My only concern is once it's free, will I be able to be certain to get all the grime and sludge out through oil drain? Maybe after a few revolutions and flushing it a few times. It'll be a project, but so far I must say, so good!

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

A vacuum or drain line in each cylinder to gt all the liquids out. I use compressed air to do the rest, wrap a rag around your hand and use the air pressure to blow any bits that might be left in the cylinders. I like the trick of the suspended block, it would maybe drive me nuts wanting it to MOVE, but cool. Give the liquids a week to work down through the rings to brake the lose. Looking forward to your updates.

8. Vinjap4fun

Vinjap4fun New Member

Good tips, thanks! And it's driving me absolutely wild! I'm good for like 6 hours. Then a sneak out and hit the lights.....nothing lol. Been 2 1/2 days

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

What news on this one? I'm on a GT250 of similar vintage right now too!

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So are you saying the battery was dead? Nothing when you turn the key on? I would guess that either a battery or charging issue. Could be a ground so the battery is not charging. Might want to take a look at all the wire connections and make sure they are not full of junk.

11. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I would just tear the motor down and it need crank seals anyway. All old 2t motors will need those seals. Try "Two Stroke World" forum it's a very cool site I'm a member there, smart group of guys, (not me, them)
    Cheers, 50gary