1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

new battery or something more serious

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pauldale999, Apr 21, 2019.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. pauldale999

pauldale999 Active Member

Thanks XJ
    Just ordered one in UK (93102-25218-00 Original Yamaha)
    Should get it by Wed/Thurs
    Thank You for your help!

Regards.

XJ550H likes this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

4. pauldale999

Installed the new oil seal, oil nozzle and housing '0' rings, and reassembled charging system.
    Pulled the plugs, and checked starter motor turning over - sweet! (I am afraid to start the machine, with no exhaust system installed)
    Cleaned the rotor and the stator meticulously again, before reinstalling.
    Did copper ring test on face of the rotor, and getting readings of .001 to .038 ohms. (the ohms setting at 200 always displays '1.' before I attach terminals to anything to do a reading)

Regards.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The only trouble you'll cause from starting the bike without the exhaust installed is with the neighbors.

6. pauldale999

The copper ring test? - ignition on or off?
    Regards.

7. k-moe

Off.

8. pauldale999

Just got my bike back from fabricators with new bespoke stainless steel headers and collector box.
    Bye-bye old boxes, and having to replace them, expensively, and to replacing headers every 2 years! (£400.00 GB Sterling) IMG_20190704_162603.jpg IMG_20190704_162454.jpg
    Shall return to charging tests next week, but have noticed improvement already
    Regards.
    IMG_20190704_162603.jpg IMG_20190704_162454.jpg IMG_20190704_162257.jpg IMG_20190704_162554.jpg Pics enclosed.

MattiThundrrr, Franz and Chitwood like this.
  9. k-moe

I envy the plethora of "cottage-industry" motorcycle shops you have in the U.K.

10. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

That exhaust looks amazing!

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Exhaust looks great. Is your oil filter case on 90 degrees out? Fins on case are nearly horizontal.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  12. pauldale999

I don't know Franz
    Changed oil and filter a couple of years ago.
    Should the fins be vertical?
    Regards

13. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If you look at the periphery of the oil filter housing there is a small lug that locates on a groove in the crankcase. Check the 12 oclock position on the crankcase. I am sure all XJ's have the oil filter housing fins vertical on the engine.

Chitwood likes this.
  14. pauldale999

Ok I'll check that one out
    Thanks Franz

Franz likes this.
  15. pauldale999

Re-positioned the oil filter cover to cooling fins 'vertical'.
    Charging issue: Having replaced the rectifier, stator, and alternator housing seals, (and scrutinously cleaned all parts) I tested the battery before I set out on a very short run of 2 miles....
    Engine off, light off: 12.41v......2miles run with light on and on return: 12.67v (engine off, light off) So charged up battery 0.26v on only a 2-mile run (theoretically this will now charge up to 1v on a 10-mile run?)o_O
    Idling engine battery test: 2000rpm: 14.78.........4000rpm: 14.80v
    It has been reported that these values are a bit high, but if you look at the stats for a GEL battery, it says that it charges slightly higher than a lead acid one (especially good for winter starts, apparently...?)
    I'll keep my eye on it, but I think the charging issue has been resolved now, unless anyone has any evidence to the contrary.....?

Thanks for all your help and contributions.
    Kind regards
    D. Grantham

k-moe likes this.
  16. pauldale999

Hi again.
    Happy Christmas to all XJ members!
    Has anyone with an XJ650 RJ Seca had electrical problems with the running of their machine in the rain?
    I get firing intermittence, (ie, it sounds like one or two cylinders are not firing, and then they are again?) It can be very frustrating. It is also hard to start.
    NB: This only happens when running the machine when raining and very wet.
    If anyone has, and has sourced and resolved the problem, could they please advise me and I can follow their example?!
    Kind regards.
    Dale Grantham

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sounds like you have cracked ignition coils or wires

in the dark when dry get a spray bottle and spray water on coils you may see arcing and replicate problem

wires can be cut back and spliced new wires on with nkg splices and coils sealed with epoxy or rtv

18. pauldale999

Still won't start after cleaning and renewing coil to cap connections
    Turns over and over and over, until battery going flat. (only pressed starter 3 secs intermittently)
    There seems to be no spark at all #4 cylinder, strong spark on #1, weak spark on #'s 2 and 3.
    It did not fire ONCE, in 100's of turning the engine over.
    There is fuel at 4, not sure about 3, and fuel at 1, not sure about 2.
    Going to try again today. This has happened before, and can't remember how it got resolved?
    Once it starts, it runs ok (in drier weather)
    Big backfire, which blew out my left side silencer repair wad! Another repair!
    Any other ideas, why it won't start please?
    Can't do the checks suggested by xj550, cos can't get it started now..?

Regards.

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

How long was it in the shop for? I wonder if the floats are stuck and need a little bump to get the fuel going again? If you have spark issues not too sure about that battery? Just read through your post and I see you have changed some of the charging system but have you changed out the old battery? Getting a new battery and maybe even a gel battery with a little more CCA to help start the bike. If that does nothing for your starting issues and the spark is still weak, you might have to so more testing on the coil packs and clean up more wiring.

20. pauldale999

Just repaired all the holes in the silencers, put back on machine. (I have got some new stainless steel ones on order, but the guy is fully booked until mid-Jan, when he is going to ring with a date to bring the 'bike over to fit them custom) They are both full of big holes, which I have just been custom-repairing, to keep the noise down as much as possible!
    Tried to start, turned over and over, smell of petrol. Wouldn't start, big backfire again, and blew out all my recent repairs:mad:
    Fired briefly, but then just turning over and over again until another backfire.
    Does there always need to be a small 'breather' hole in the silencer? (the one that I presume is/was there, to drain condensation on initial start?)
    Eventually, the starter button stuck 'on', and couldn't turn it off until battery was too flat to turn motor over!
    Looked at petrol petcock, but when I took hose off, (in 'On' position), the fuel was not running out, so presume that is still working ok? (the diaphragm inside etc.)
    I really am running out of ideas, as to what is causing this.
    My main theory is that the two 'starter' cylinders (is it 1 and 3?), may not be getting enough fuel/spark to start, and pressure is building up, with the motor turning over and over, and that is causing the backfires? (there is plenty of fuel in the tank)
    The fuel enrichment circuit has not been working too good the past couple of months, and I had that down as a job in the Spring to do. It did start the machine though, up until now, when engaged.
    Help please, I am getting very frustrated with this....

Kind regards.