1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Motogadget m-unit

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sarah, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Hey all! I was just wondering if anyone here has a motogadget m unit on any of their bikes.

I busted my fuse block, and I ran across the m unit looking for a new one. I am super intrigued by the new M-Unit Blue in particular.

Anyway, if anyone here has any experience with any of the m-unit models please let me know your thoughts about it! I'm definitely interested to know how installation went, how well the features work (or not), problems with it, etc..

Thanks!

2. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sarah likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

10 minutes to install a new fuse block.
    Based on what I've read from the two people on here who have used the M unit; several hours (or more) to install it and get everything to work reliably.

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

20$ for a new fuse block or 400$ for the M-unit. I know which way I would go. I'm with K-moe, 10 minutes and 20$

Franz likes this.
  5. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

The fuse block I broke isn't the original, it's a newer blade style fuse block, so yes I know it would be very easy to swap it out for another. It has 6 slots and a waterproof cover, was $5 @ NAPA. One of the tabs for one of the fuses broke off. I wasn't using all 6 slots anyway, so I switched the broken fuse to the empty fuse slot and now everything is working again. So technically I don't really need a new one at all, unless or until I want to add more accessories to my bike. That would be $0. Price isn't the point here.

I'm interested more in the other features the m-unit blue would add to the bike, specifically.

k-moe likes this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The info is scattered across several threads. This search result should get you a good overview.
    m-unit site:xjbikes.com

I understand the appeal, and ave considered using it myself. But I don't see how the results justify the expense, particularly with an already wired motorcycle.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

every time i hear about those things i try to find a reason why i should have one. but the more i read the more reasons i find not to want one.

Rooster53 likes this.
  8. Sarah

Sarah maxim-um fun

Thanks! I tried to do a site search but I didn't get most of these results.

I hear ya'll about the price of these things, it's definitely a lot of money and I wouldn't fork over the retail price for it, either. I'm way too cheap (and poor) for that! I LOVE to bargain shop, though, so if I do buy an M-unit some day it will be either because it was significantly discounted, or used.

k-moe likes this.
  9. XJAUS

XJAUS New Member

Hi All,

I have an original fuse box with a broken fuse holder tab and have decided to rewire the entire bike and include a m.unit blue.
    This is more of a fun lock down project, than a necessity. Phase 1 will be the m.unit with an entirly new custom wiring harness. Controls, throttle and choke level. Phase 2 will be Headlight, indicators and a custom box to replace the tale splash guard. Then I hope to replace the gauges.

I'm not using the M.button, but have installed 6 push button switches in place of the original controls.

I've stripped the wiring for the Ignition, Coils and Rec/Reg etc from the main harness. However will customise the main harness so I will be able to re-install all the original items should I wish, by simply plugging in the seperated items.

I'll post it all once I'm done.