1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For Sale 85 XJ700 Maxim

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Orange-n-Black, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

The bike has been sitting for 4 & 1/2 years. It's a good project bike.
    Known needs are valve adjustment, starter clutch, petcock and paint. Shocks and brakes will likely need rebuilding, have the carbs that were on it when bought (Mikuni 32mm in need of rebuild) and have a set of 83 750 carb boots that'll work on this bike.

Asking 400 OBO As Is and local pickup. I'm not in good health and shipping it would be a problem. I live in Horn Lake, Ms just south of Memphis, Tn.

A pic of the bike in riding condition.

Attached Files:

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

O/B--

Wow, sorry to hear that! I've wondered where you disappeared to.....

Thoughts/prayers/well wishes to you.

I know others have been asking, too

Dave F

3. Orange-n-Black

Hey Dave. I had it up for sale in local Craigslist and local Classifieds a few years ago, had a guy come to look it over and maybe buy it. I tried to crank it, but the starter clutch decided it was going to completely fail at that time. So lost sale and it has sat for the last 4 & 1/2 years. The 2 carb system I had went to my son in law and he put it on his 86 XJ700.

Sorry for the long absence, I got myself deeply involved in building guitars and back to playing guitars. That along with spending time with my grandson has consumed all my time.
    As far as my health goes, I'm split between walking with a cane, using a walker and sometimes my wheelchair. The wheelchair isn't large enough for the 700 motor, so I need to sell the bike. :D Besides, I could use the money.

How are things going for you and yours?

4. hogfiddles

Hey----your inbox is full......I'd prefer to converse there, not here in the middle of a public forum.

Or send a private conversation to me with a phone or texting number and I can talk or text off-list

Dave Fox

5. Orange-n-Black

Inbox is now empty. Wow 6 pages long and took awhile to figure out how to empty.

6. Orange-n-Black

7. hogfiddles

Pm sent

8. Orange-n-Black

9. Seabastic67

Seabastic67 New Member

Would you sell me the carb? Full rack

10. Orange-n-Black

I do have the entire rack of Mikuni 32mm CV Carbs. They weren't the original carbs for the bike, but did the job for a couple years til I converted over to Round Slide Carbs. The CV Carb rack will have to be rebuilt and I can't guarantee that they will all be rebuild-able since I never took them apart to inspect.
    My chances of selling this bike are better if it's a hole bike, but I may reconsider parting it out. What do you have in mind?

11. Seabastic67

Seabastic67 New Member

Nevermind, I need hitachi, thanks anyways and good luck to you!

12. Orange-n-Black

Bike sold. I'll be moving soon, so I had to get it out of here. Only got $2oo for it. Was good to sell it on, but also sucked that it's gone.

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Sorry that you had to sell it so low. Moving does suck. My Virago project was unoaded for less than I had into it (not a lot less). At least it went to an enthusiast. I hope yours did too.

14. Orange-n-Black

Thanks K-moe. I only got 1 other person that was interested over the last 3 years(local listing) and they didn't show up. Most people want something they just get on and ride instead of a fix it first bike.;) The buyer mentioned putting a Harley Sportster motor in the frame instead of the whimpy 700. I told him how I stomped a Sportster when the bike was running. Now he wants to look into fixing it. Gave him Chacal's website info, so hopefully He'll get some orders soon.:D

k-moe likes this.
  15. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

It was the distance for me. I’d have snagged it up in a second if we were closer. I will cross a state line ( maybe two) for the right xj but you’re a heck of a drive from me. Haha. Whimpy 700 he said ehh!! I’ve got two whimpy 700 motors in the garage now. Like K-moe said. It is sad to see a low price for you but also nice to not have to contend any more with it

Orange-n-Black likes this.