1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

just one of those weeks

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Simmy, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Monday morning I decided to ride my KLR to work.
    I rolled the bike out of the garage, normally I put it in gear as my drive has a slope to it.
    This morning I didn't do that. While I turned to close the garage door I heard the sidestand scraping down the hill. I watched in horror as it just missed my wife's car and crashed to the pavement.
    Bent some stuff, cracked some plastic and added a few more scrapes, ha nothing I can't patch up later.
    It's a KLR after all.
    There's one annoying thing I haven't described though. I have a 60 lb Sheppard cross who goes completely berserk when motorcycles are involved. He barks like crazy when I start a bike, even if I just roll one around.
    He'll bite the exhaust if given the chance.
    This morning I'm taking the KLR to work, left it in gear while closing the garage door this time.
    Start the bike and instead of the idiot barking I hear a sickening crash that only smashing motorcycle parts make.
    Opened the garage door to find my FZ600 laying on its side and the dog creeping up sheepishly with his tail wagging.
    It fell opposite to the sidestand so the dog obviously did it. Big gash in the gas tank, broken fairing, mirror, signal and the brand-new oil pump cover shipped all the way from from South Africa nicely scratched up.
    I'd like to beat the dog but it would just make me feel worse later.
    I've got a couple bent & scraped up bikes but all my skin intact.
    Life is good :)

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Maybe its time to change my Avatar again.

Timbox likes this.
  3. Cheno

Cheno New Member

Sorry to hear about your mishaps.....glad to hear nobody got hurt and your wife's car was not a casualty, at least...

4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

You are upset at Simmy but remember he is a part of the family. My heart drop when reading this. This is my 1000 message. I'm glad is on this thread.

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Actually Simmy was the name of my last dog. She was a gem for all of her 14 years.
    This jerk is Loki (my avatar).
    The previous owners kept him in a cage all day and I don't think he's quite right.
    He's loyal and I do love him. I like bikes, he just behaves irrationally around them.
    I have a replacement gas tank, I think I have the mirror, the fairing I can fix, it's mostly just my time I need to spend fixing this when I could be working on my Turbo.

There was a bicycle parked next to the FZ and I'm sure as he heard me start the KLR he came running to jump against the garage door. When he squeezed between the FZ and the bicycle down it went. The foot pedal for a floor jack caved the fuel tank.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

He's like a jealous girlfriend...……….

Plug and Simmy like this.
  7. Cheno

Cheno New Member

Got a rescued Kelpie (kinda like a Black and Tan Heeler) that was pretty neurotic when we adopted him 13 years ago...Also have a German Shepherd mix...

Was there a lot of fuel spilled from the gash in the tank? Just thought that it could have been MUCH worse....Didn't have a fire hazard, at least...Yes, the extra work sucks, but nothing caught fire...

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

No actual perforation to the tank so no gas spilled.
    It’s an old bike, could have been lots worse. I was actually thinking of taking it to work 2 minutes before this but no place to carry my lunch.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

dogs, what more can you say.

10. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

That's it I think.

12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

As luck would have it I have 2 spare LH mirrors and no RH.
    $65 at Partzilla, mirrors for 86-88 FZ600 are unique to that bike only.
    Already received a new signal light from Fortnine $21, even includes bulb.
    Yesterday I dropped a bar-b-q grill on my sidecar and nicked the paint.
    Superstition says things come in three so that's it I hope.
    I just returned from a week of dirt riding with my son, the entire week sliding and spinning all over the North and no mishap (for me anyway) at all.
    Seems the most dangerous place for my bikes is my garage, shed or driveway.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I had the rolling bike kick stand crash on my ZRX1200R, just a sick feeling when you hear and see what is going on. As for the dogs (kids) yes things will happen when they are around and good things no one got hurt. Loki might even have leaned a lesson? Could always have some remedial training and have him around running bikes more often with some treats or water bottle. It is had to get the crazy out of a dog sometime, I sure like them though, love you no matter what...most of the time. Glad you can fix all the hurt parts.