1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why you should replace butterfly (throttle shaft) seals.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, May 12, 2019.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

xj4ever sells those too

2. firebane

firebane Active Member

So here is the thing... I know that Chacal (xj4ever) is a good source for a lot of this stuff, but unfortunately because of the exchange rate and shipping ordering from him can be QUITE costly for such small objects.

With that said I see in this post people have talked about using #11 viton orings as throttle shaft seals, but has anyone measured out what a double lip or what size of seal would be necessary to replace the ones that are in there?

Maybe something with some precise instruments who has their carbs ripped apart could give us depth, width and opening sizes and maybe find something that is easily accessible to all?

3. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I did measure mine with a caliper and mic but I didn't write them down. I ordered square seals that were supposed to fit and went with it. They were a little loose in the bore but squished and fill it when I installed the shaft clips and such. We'll see if they come back to haunt me. I have some 550 carb parts sitting in a tote that I can measure tonight and post dimensions.

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The cost of the correct seals seems insignificant to me compared to the labour (my time) to go back in there.
    Order new butterfly screws while you're at it.

Franz likes this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Doubling up the #11 seals works fine ,in my spare set of carbs , my main set has the seals fro XJ4Ever ...I would rather use the seals from Chacal.

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

11.5mm OD
    8mm ID
    3mm thick

Alan63 and firebane like this.
  7. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

I agree with the consensus to just replace them with the correct seals, if at all possible. I just rebuilt my carbs for probably the fourth time in 18 years (and this time it's been 10 years). Although I was expecting the throttle shaft seals to be brittle or slightly disintegrated -- I seem to remember using petroleum-based lubricant last time -- I was somewhat disappointed to find them in nearly new condition. But you better believe that while I was in there, I still replaced them and used the correct non-petroleum-based lube.

8. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

I am thinking about pulling my carbs and rebuilding them very hard to start and takes for ever to warm up. Was looking at the seals cost a lot to have them sent so was thinking about o rings found some online. After it starts have to run on full choke and give throttle slowly or it bogs out bad and have notice cutting out under 2500 rpms and what sounds like a slight ping about half the time. will these work?

3 mm X 8mm (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring
    3mm Cross Section

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

#11 orings is the size and can be combined with #11 x rings 1 of each on each side

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

Keep trying to find #11 O rings when I do a search they do not come up as #11 . trying to find the size for them.

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

12. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

Thank you found them you dont have the # for the x rings do you .I think the reason I couldn't find them I was looking up # 11 o rings and it came up with 3/4 OD or 9/16 OD
    I knew that wasn't right.

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

14. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

Thank you

15. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

got them in the mail had to buy a 100 of each but only $11.00 for all so very happy.Looking thru post dont guess it makes a big difference what one goes in first.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. Andy Dobkins

Andy Dobkins Member

thanks

18. Nick S

Nick S Member

Planning on doing this job on bike soon. Just to be clear, I should replace the O-rings AND throttle shaft seals? Those are two separate things? I've already ordered the o-rings and I've emailed xj4ever about ordering a set of throttle shaft seals. They're quite expensive but worth it to fix a vacuum leak.

19. Nick S

Nick S Member

Bought the x-profile O-ring that polock suggested. Did you mean to use these in replacament of the actual throttle shaft seals or as the correct o-rings on the fuel line?

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The o-rings mentioned in this thread are viable alternatives for the proper throttle shaft seals (which I prefer).
    The o-rings came about at a time when new throttle shaft seals were very difficult to get at a reasonable price.

The fuel fttings take a somewhat specialized seal, and I recommend against substuting anything else.

Nick S likes this.