1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Kickstand saftey switch

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gary Schiefelbein, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Gary Schiefelbein

Gary Schiefelbein New Member

I recently picked up a 83 750 midnight maxim.Today was going to take it out.But when I throw it in gear it dies.Looked for the side stand saftey switch but I do not see one.Did this model come with one? 20180830_163326.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes it does. pull the sidestand relay to bypass the ssss
    it should be on the frame directly behind the sidestand cant miss it and yours is not there

The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide
    1982-84 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models:

Flasher: near the steering headpipe, on right side frame rail, under the right side ignition coil.
    Flasher canceller: under the rear of gas tank.
    Starter motor solenoid/relay: attached to and behind the battery box.
    Starter/Ignition cut-off relay (no color): behind self-canceller, under rear of tank.
    Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): behind the left frame side cover, on the plastic regulator-rectifier mounting plate.
    Headlight relay (yellow): not used.
    1982 XJ750 Maxim safety relay single diode: outside the main wiring harness bundle, in the area just behind the fuel tank.
    1983-4 XJ750 Maxim Diode block: inside the headlight housing.
    Neutral switch: in a hole in the bottom of the crankcase, just "outside" of the oil pan, on the bottom of the engine, up inside a recessed "well".

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. Gary Schiefelbein

So if mine isn't there what is my next course of action?

4. Gary Schiefelbein

Removed this and all is good 20180831_151226.jpg

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Replacement side stand switches can be sourced to restore the safety feature - it just might save you from a catastrophic event.

6. Gary Schiefelbein

I hear your advice.Im 66 been doing this for over 50 yrs I'm more worried about gravel in a curve than leaving the sidestand down.If I do damn I shouldn't be on the bike to begin with.

7. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

You always seem to have sound advice.. So last night started the 82 XJ750 (Seca) and when I dropped it into 1st for the maiden voyage it died. Warning light for the side stand stayed on so this thread steered me to the switch. I went out today after work to take the plunger switch loose to see how this worked and if there's something obvious when I noticed that there's an empty space about 6" deep right below the left side cover and sitting right about the driveshaft. Is something supposed to be there? All the images I look at aren't close enough and most don't show a bikes left side . The empty compartment sits right in a "V" between vertical frame tubes. It really seems like something should be there but I can't recall and of course the Haynes wouldn't show something like that.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that compartment is where the chain goes to lock up your biks and never had a cover you shold see a little post sticking out

peel boot back spray electronic contact cleaner then silicon spray dry type to clean and lube switch

9. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

cleaned up the switch behind the kickstand on the 82 750 Seca. Started in N, all warning lights cleared (including the stand light that previously stayed on), dropped into first and it shut down again. Started again this time let the clutch out while in N and it stayed running until I pulled the clutch and then dropped into first again. I have blue/yellow, green/blue and black coming out of the switch and the blue/yellow going to the cutoff relay. Any suggestions for testing?
    If I need to jump blue/yellow to ground to bypass, any recommendations?

10. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

I meant Side Stand relay and not Cutoff Relay... Getting ready to check with the relay off..

11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

with the relay off the bike still dies as soon as shifted into gear.

12. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

And the same thing happens when the side stand switch circuit is disconnected (over behind the battery).

13. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

jumped all three and works great - not sure if it's the switch or the relay though. Replace both?

14. Rooster53

I suspect you pulled the wrong relay as pulling the relay will totally defeat the ignition cutoff safety feature. Additionally, the bike will crank in neutral but will not start (no spark) if the side stand relay is not functioning.

https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-relay-switch-sensor-and-diodes-guide.27543/

1981-83 XJ750 Seca and XJ750 Euro models:

Flasher: near the steering headpipe, on right side frame rail, under the right side ignition coil.
    Flasher canceller: under the rear of gas tank.
    Starter motor solenoid/relay: attached to and behind battery box.
    Starter/Ignition cut-off relay (no color): behind coils, behind self-canceller.
    Sidestand (kickstand) relay (blue): frame bracket outbound of LH frame tube, just behind the left side ignition coil.
    Headlight relay (yellow): behind the left frame side cover, on the plastic regulator-rectifier mounting plate.
    Diode block: inside the headlight housing.
    Neutral switch: in a hole in the bottom of the crankcase, just "outside" of the oil pan, on the bottom of the engine, up inside a recessed "well".

Another indication that the side stand relay is OK. With the side stand switch wires jumpered together the ignition cutoff circuit is disabled and the bike should run in gear as you indicated.

Note that the side stand switch is a SPDT switch, meaning there is a switch for the CMS and the side stand relay. It seems what is going on is after cleaning the switch you have one pole working, but not the other. You can easily check the switch with a DMM by checking continuity from the blue/yellow, green/blue and black wires. With the side stand up you should have close to zero ohms between the blue/yellow to black and the green/blue to black - both should open with the side stand down.

Recheck your cleaning and make sure the plunger on the switch is fully extending with the side stand up - give it a pull. Sometimes the rubber boot can cause issues with the plunger extending all the way out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  15. Jim Steele

Jim Steele New Member

plunger is coming all the way out and seems to be working as intended (not getting hung up). The relay is the one that's directly below the rectifier under the left side cover correct? If so, not sure why it would cut off when I removed the wires from the relay though? Are these relays hard to come by?

16. Rooster53