1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Adjusting rear wheel nut

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joejr2, Aug 11, 2019.

1. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

Yesterday I installed the rear wheel on an xj650 maxim that I am building. There was play in the wheel
    That got less as I tightened the nut. I tightened it until there was no play, but there was rubbing and resistance. I backed off a couple of notches so that there was minimal rubbing but no play. The question
    is, how much play is ok and when should the drive years be swapped out ? On 37 year old bikes, are there
    Any drive years out there that don't have slop ?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you should be able to torque the nut to spec, 77.4 ftlbs

there is a washer on right side (brake plate) a spacer between the bearings in the wheel another spacer that goes between wheel and into drive hub. then another washer under the castle nut.

k-moe likes this.
  3. joejr2

I got my parts from a variety of early 80s xj650s as well as craigslist.The rear wheel was off a cafe/chopper project shamefully abandond by its
    PO. The drive gears looked good, not damaged or hollowed out. I put a new set of brake shoes on the outer plate I guess I should measure them against the old
    shoes. If they are too wide could they rub before the nut gets to torque spec. Oh yeah, and the entire rear end, from swing arm back, was off the same bike.
    The two spacers were in place too.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

650 maxim brake shoes are 180mm x 40 mm
    750 maxim shoes are 200mm x 40mm

5. joejr2

Thanks my friend xj550H. I pulled the rear wheel and discovered that I had left out the middle spacer. It had fallen out when I was wrestling
    with it and was lying on the lift deck under the bike. I reinstalled the wheel with the spacer and it tightened up just fine.

k-moe and XJ550H like this.