1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tunning my xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Andrii, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Andrii

Andrii New Member

Hi everyone, I just rebuild my 82 xj650 RJ Seca and now I am trying to tune to so it would run with stable consistently. I had to throw away my cheap air pods since they would make my bike way to unpredictable (at least at sea level). And after playing with my fuel level I got to the point where my bike runs pretty stable (most of the time).

The problem I have right now is that after riding for some time my rpm would not go down when I press my clutch to stop on the stop sign for example. Two of my cylinders run hotter than other two and that makes me think I have wrong mixtures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

For high idle rpm, make sure you do not have a vacuum leak, that could also cause elevated temperature on you exhaust pipes, due to a lean condition. Next thing to test would be to color tune your engine, that would show rich/lean conditions in each cylinder, you will also want a set of gauges to synchronize your carbs. None of this is hard, just time consuming; I'm chasing high idle on mine. Good luck.

Franz likes this.
  3. Andrii

Andrii New Member

Thank, I'll try some this right now

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

do you have the original air intake box and exhaust?

5. Andrii

Andrii New Member

I have both original, I had air pods but they made my engine unstable so I installed original box.

tradmedic likes this.
  6. Andrii

Andrii New Member

Is there a good way to find vacuum leaks?

7. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Use a propane torch and blow propane around the carbs at idle. If rpm increases you have found an air leak. Pay special attention to the throttle shaft o-rings and the intake gaskets. I had an damaged intake gasket.

tradmedic and Franz like this.
  8. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

yep im having the same problem too, shopping for an oem airbox i hate these pods. adjusted fuel levels today, im set at 17mm exactly measuring my float but tube testing the fuel level show im at least 3mm underso idk, and i dont want to set float any higher per spec and to avoid a fuel leak