1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Won’t start when hot

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Zack Lescowitch, Aug 10, 2019.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not unless you plan on breaking the chain and fitting a new one.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

No

3. Zack Lescowitch

Zack Lescowitch Member

Well I was able to bring the bike into my home shop this weekend. After topping off the coolant and putting in a switch to manually run the fan, the bike stays cool enough and runs without issues.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

So do you think the coolant top off or the manual swx fan did the trick? I know on the V65 Honda most owners either put a manual swx in or changed the thermostat to a lower number. I hope for you this is a long term fix.

Did you make sure to put the swx in line or is it a switched power for fan to be on. I just wanted to give you a heads up if you have it hot wired, you might forget to turn it off one day.

5. Zack Lescowitch

Zack Lescowitch Member

After a lot of trials, I’m fairly confident it was an overheating issue.

For now it’s inline. I’m considering looking around for a timer of sorts that lets the fan run for a few minutes after I shut it off and then turns off on its own.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Why not just get the next lower temp thermostat and that might do the trick. That way you would not have to worry about a swx and the bike would run cooler? I am just glad you got it worked out and you can ride for the rest of the season.

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Those are low figures , your valve clearance should be checked if you have not done so yet. The other thing were all 4 plugs out and battery fully charged when you did compression test. The other thing put a little oil down plug hole and try compression test , reading should be a little higher. If still low I would rent another gauge see what it reads with another gauge.