1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Crankcase flooded! Oil filter?? Help? ‘82 xj650 seca (non yics )

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Zachary Barton, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Zachary Barton

Zachary Barton New Member

silly question, but my Haynes Owners Workshop Manual doesn’t specify, which oil filter do I need to buy?

Cause: Had a stuck carb float, which filled my air box with fuel, which subsequently flooded my crankcase with premium gasoline.

Solution: Disconnected crankcase breather hose and replaced with filter. Left 6in crankcase hose on the air box and directed towards ground in case of future carb flooding.

Oil and oil filter change, of course.

Not sure which filter...

Any other advice...? Is my oil separator okay?

-Zach

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Oil filter on front of engine. Make sure the spring and washer are in correctly. Many times the washer is stuck to the filter and get tossed inadvertently. Item 7

Attached Files:

Zachary Barton likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Local Yamaha dealer should carry filter, Wally world , even Autozone as I recall have them. I bought the spin on filter conversion from xj4ever ...great up grade .

Zachary Barton likes this.
  4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

K&N sell a filter for the crankcase vent but why don’t you just leave the hose attached to the air box and fix your petcock and carb float valves?

k-moe likes this.
  5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I think with the vent hose disconnected you can still flood the crankcase, the fuel will enter which ever intake valve is open then leak past the piston rings.

k-moe likes this.
  6. Zachary Barton

Zachary Barton New Member

Y’all rock. I really like the twist-on filter idea also.

Forgot to add, I located the gummed up carb and gave it a thorough cleaning. I should do a full carb rebuild at the end of this season.

I was really surprised at the huge amount of fuel that was actually in the crankcase and I ran the bike for a few minutes before realizing. I disconnected the vent hose to ensure that such a HUGE amount of fuel wouldn’t get siphoned into the crankcase again (From that side at least)

-Zach

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That will not prevent fuel from getting into the crankcase. The pathway is from the carbs into the cylinders, and then into the crankcase. The fuel getting into the airbox is coming from the crankcase vent, but only after the crankcase is full.

Rebuild the carbs. You will have a full crankcase again otherwise (BTDT).

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

If you still have the stock vacuum petcock make sure it is left in the ON position , the PRI position fuel will flow and if your float needles do not fully seal , it will eventually fill the cylinder.with fuel and this will drain into the crank case. If you have an after market petcock make sure it is put to the OFF position after riding.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

In either case no fuel will get to the crankcase if the floats, float needles, and float needle seat washers are working properly.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Zach, the time that needs to be spend on the carbs is more then you might think. When you have them out, take the time to do all the things needed before you put them back in and on the bike. The wet set and bench synch is huge! The wet set will test your float jets, gas leaks and proper fuel height in the bowls. There are lots of posts on how to do it, but please take the time to "do it". If not, you will be pulling those carbs out many times to fix the issues that if you took the time, would have been fixed the first time. I know, I did it on my fist Xj, pulled them about six times...just want to save you the time and frustration.

Franz, k-moe and Toomanybikes like this.
  11. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I have found and easy way to check for leaking needles. Once I have cleaned and reassembled the carb--except for the bowls-- I invert the carbs, attach a fuel source and look for leaks. No leaks the needles are sealing. So I lift and lower the floats one at time to insure that I get good fuel flow and then it stops when the float is lowered. I only invert the carbs enough to let the floats lightly rest on the needles. It has worked for me, so you might give it a try.