1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900 New Carb boots... but...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cds1984, Mar 10, 2019.

1. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

So.. couldn't believe my luck finding these all over ebay and just had to buy some.
    Fitted them... so soft!
    Bike started acting up 3 or so months down the track so, time to get out the bits and do a tune.

First a sync... this is what I ended up with when I pulled the caps off (see pic)

Here is one such advert, have a look at the bit of glue on top holding them in, hard to see but its there.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carb-Ho...168744?hash=item442a94c428:g:J~8AAOSwv6Fbw~xT
    That'll teach me!

Attached Files:

2. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Hmm..guess the glue didn't hold?

Brass nipples probably need a special glue to bond to the rubber intakes and not sure what would work, but if the boots are firm enough you may be able to tap and thread in fittings like these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Hose...m2aaba797a7:m:mLUP3bYX1ZD_n2QraDtG5Kg&vxp=mtr

As you can see, they have a selection of sizes. I picked out ones appropriate for boots that I'm using on FZR intakes that were needed one of my builds that didn't have them. Used a pipe thread sealer that is fuel proof and now good to go.

Tony

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I was looking at those too give them a miss now. I read somewhere there are tci units manufactured in China too for the XJ range. I wonder what they will be like?

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I was looking at those too give them a miss now. I read somewhere there are tci units being manufactured in China too for the XJ range. I wonder what they will be like?

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The vacuum ports should have flanges/ribs on them to lock into the rubber when the boots are cast.
    That small mistake ruined what could have been a good reproduction part.

I'd contact the seller or manufacturer to let them know. They might be interested in making a revised part.

EDIT: I think the original Yamaha parts had the tubes brazed to the mounting flange before the rubber was cast onto them.

6. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

K... I checked the seller and.. 'no longer registered'.
    When you take the chance you gotta accept that mind you.
    Don't think the boots are rubbish but I'll have to resolve the stupid barbs before I do a sync.
    In saying that... I'm updating my previous JBM industries diaphragm thread in a second...

7. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've just discovered a pair of nasty cracks in two boots, which shows how far gone they are - the boots are like Bakelite, not rubber.
    If the Cheapanese boots last for a few years, it's ok by me to sling in some hose tails.

8. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I got a set of those to fit my XS11. I had the same problem, the nipples fell out after only 2 weeks and the other 2 were loose. The rubber and flanges seem to be made well so I made a set of threaded nipples and tapped the holes to accept them. Locked them in with some thread locker so well see how they will hold up. I don't think they are too bad for the price.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

32$ . there have been reports of the low cost manifold boots failing on this site.
    maybe you could make better nipples with K&S brass tubing. if you get the thicker tubes possible to add threads to help them grab and stay tight. may be a job for jb weld.
    you will need something that does not soften with the temps of the motor and boots.