1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 Maxim Starter Motor wiring question.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hamie, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Hamie

Hamie New Member

I recently purchased a XJ550 Maxim from a sketchy guy in a sketchy warehouse. When I got it the starter was removed because it was burnt out. When I installed the a new starter I could only find one loose wire. The one from the starter solenoid. My question is, is there supposed to be a ground on the starter? I've searched the web and have found pictures of starter motors using grounds but no references to my bike specifically.

2. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

3. Hamie

Hamie New Member

Okay. Thank you very much for the reply. I wanted to be sure before I hit the start button.

4. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

5. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

Ive looked at swveral diagrams regarding my 82 xj550 seca and i dont understand why the wiring diagram shows the rectifier brown wire to start solenoid and my bike isnt wired that way. Would that make my charging system fail?

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

The brown wire from the rectifier should go to the starter relay near the battery on the frame, not direct to the solenoid. The relay triggers a straight 12VDC connection from the battery. The ground side of the starter is through the engine case. Make sure the battery ground to the engine is connected.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what is refered to as starter relay is solenoid. there is also starter cutoff relay which is controled by safety switches.

the body of starter is the ground when bolted into motor. motor has a ground strap to battery and frame

9. XJ550H

solenoid near battery called starter switch in fsm

starter switch 550.PNG

starter cutoff relay near fuel tank
    startercutoff.PNG

10. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

View attachment 36371
    View attachment 36371 View attachment 36371

11. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

Sorry im really new to the fuctions on how to reply on this sight so please bare with me. I have this diagram wired in and usong stock coils runs and idkes fine actually think its more snappy. Untill about 4000 rpms. Any ideas on either using a seperate boost of watts to the pickups to trick the hei into waiting to rev limit. Or adjusting the doodes and resistor to bigger or smaller values. Any suggestion is appreciated as ive been mixing and matching, reading and learning bit still not getting it to advance my timing the 16-32 degrees it says. Ugghhh... Season is ending and havent rode yet.

12. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The GM HEI units that I'm familliar with use vacuum advance on the distributor. The KZ550 has a mechanical advance, which is why the HEI works with it.
    The XJ has electronic advance as part of the TCI.
    In short, you can't use the HEI ignition modules on an XJ unless you adapt or make a seperate advance system to alter spark timing.

14. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

Ok, so i read about a guy drilling new holes in the plate your pickups read if i made the pickups adjustable like points are isnt it possible to solve issue? Or what if i custom mounted the coil packs that were on a buick to match the HEI?

15. XJ550H

drilling holes would give you a one position change and accuracy would be key but not adjustable
    coil packs are coil packs nothing to do with timing

I think if you find out what the w connector is for you may be able to adajust timing on the HEI

you could put a vacuum set up on the manifold boots and a vac sensor to change timing but that is a guess on what you would need and if vacuum port would be strong enough.

16. XJ550H

this link explains a little about the W pin and possibly how to control advance. i get the impression a variable resister (potentiometer) may be able to control advance just have to adjust while you ride or get a vacuum sensor to do the adjusting.
    http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Ignition/HeiModules/HeiModules.html

we have a member who could possibly solve this Rooster53 may be able to give you the info and a few more

k-moe likes this.
  17. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Split Second may have something to help shift timing based on rev trigger.

k-moe likes this.
  18. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

Vacuum would bw allright as long as it worked the w from what ive read is supposed to give back 1.75 volts to g i believe i had notes and cant find em. I think im going to try cleaning carbs bfore i do any more experiments so i know its not their fault for the bogg. I have never bench set or used the tool to sync them either. A good mechanic tuned them last yr and i think theyre good but i also believe said mechanic sabotaged me bike .lol

19. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

80-83 XJ550 WIRING.jpg this is a good way to see what wires go where.

20. Ddollar

Ddollar New Member

http://gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/Ignition/HeiModules/Hei4pinDR100moduleNotes.txt

This is really
    Good if you understand the language..