1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. NikoRx

NikoRx Member

I installed some new valve shims and upon remeasuring found that they were still out of spec! so important to always double check your work!!! I was also curious how long to leave my broken down carbs in a chem dip for? I saw that it can mess with aluminum if left in for too long.

Praxeus likes this.
  2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

An hour or so is all I do for general varnish.

Franz and NikoRx like this.
  3. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

I had to install a new transmission output shaft oil seal (ordered from Len, of course) a couple weeks ago. The old one wouldn't stay pressed in, and would pop out during my morning ride to work, leaving an embarrassing oil puddle underneath. I don't want to be mistaken for a Harley, ya know! ;)

Besides assuming the old seal was just bad, I decided to also check my engine breather hose, thinking if the case was building up pressure it might tend to pop the seal out.
    Because I don't have the stock air box, the breather hose is routed up along the seat and frame to a chrome breather filter bolted to the frame by the right rear turn signal. (That keeps the oil mist/vapor out in the open air, and not dirtying up the engine bay within the frame).

Although I've had the breather filter there for probably ten years with no issues, I checked the air flow through the hose and it was somewhat pinched. So I re-routed it slightly, and now have free flow through the hose. If the new seal pops out again, I guess I have other issues!

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you could use a little yamabond to seal it in there. the stuff used when you split the cases

SecaMaverick likes this.
  5. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Good point. I did try using a different brand gasket sealant on the old seal when I tried just re-seating it, but that obviously didn't hold. (For the new seal, I just cleaned the bore and installed it dry.)
    I should pick up some Yamabond -- which would be good to have on hand anyway -- but I've not yet had a need to split the cases.

6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Permatex ultra grey works as well and might be cheaper from the auto parts store. That's what most car engines use for case metal-metal assembly sealant. Ultra black is similar but has more silicone in it for a more rubbery consistency after cure, used typically on oil pans alone or with fiber gaskets. All sealants should be spread thinly, finger tight and let it sit for 30-45 mins before you torque down.

7. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Took the FZR out on an errand, plus a few miles... Still have hanging idle. Carb boots are solid, so probably sync issue... unless throttle shaft seals. Could find them online, maybe I'll have to look harder.

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Spray some carb spray between the carbs and see if the revs change when it hangs.

9. chazmati

chazmati Member

Did a fork rebuild over the last couple days on my Maxim-X; today is front brake caliper/MC rebuild. Does anyone have a tip for getting the (plastic?) cover off the back of the caliper without damaging it? [​IMG]
    Looks like there's a slot for a screwdriver but so far I'm gouging the slot more that removing the cover. Great thread here https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/1985-86-xj700-caliper-rebuild.118121/ but it doesn't cover that.

EDIT: Ah, push the sides in. It's pretty clear once you see it. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  10. maximaaaaa

maximaaaaa New Member

Picked up my first bike, a 1982 XJ550 on sunday, yesterday washed her, changed the oil, charged the battery, cleaned and gapped the plugs, and went over some of the wiring.
    Got it to run and the idle is surprisingly smooth, the poor things tank is rusted to hell so I doubted it would be running. ( used a clean fuel supply of course).

At first I was expecting to break down and rebuild all 4 carbs but seeing how nicely it runs I'm reconsidering all that work... anyone know how good those carb cleaning fuel additives are?

Today I'm gonna clean out my tank with phosphoric acid method, and order brake pads / brake lines. Chain needs tensioning and she should be more or less good to go.

Timbox likes this.
  11. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Additives won't open clogged jets. Lean running cylinders will eventually cause cam journal galling from heat build-up in the head and camshafts. I had to swap heads on my 550 due to #1 being scorched. A cool running tune is critical on an airhead.

12. maximaaaaa

maximaaaaa New Member

Yeah I guess I’m being lazy. Eventually want to rebuild the carbs just intimidated as I’ve never done such a thing. Got any rebuild kits you’d recommend?

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

photo and bag every part do 1 carb at a time

14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Been hectic for past few weeks , slowly working on my beetle rebuilding and repairing damage , and other issues at home .....but today I went for a 100 mile ride felt great to ride , it will be fall soon and riding season in the Chicago area will end and WINTER will be here and hang around for EVER ( it sure seems) . I rode up into Michigan I really enjoyed the ride ,cleared my head and forgot all my problems :D soon the leaves will be a changing and the vibrant colors of fall and lots of festivals in the area can't wait. Cheers

Uxbridge Brule, Franz and Praxeus like this.
  15. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I moved some boxes out of the way and put the battery tender on my brand new, but now dead, battery. I had done some reading and I think it was the eBay rectifier I had switched with the OEM one either was faulty or the loose connector was causing a parasitic electrical drain (I am theorizing). I still need to test the eBay rectifier, but with the old one back on, everything eventually came up to a charge... so naturally I had to try to fire it up... then I drove it!! I haven’t had the bike move on it’s own power since January. It was a big moment for me, after about $3000 in parts (by choice, not necessity) for wanting a safe bike. Anyways, here it is. I plan to do a gallery type posting after I do some polishing and take some nice pictures.

It still needs to be tuned, etc, but I have replaced or serviced everything from bearings, relays, fuse boxes, gas tanks, petcocks, tires, hoses, clamps, carb parts, valve adjustments, gauges, brakes, clutch plates, brushes, cables, handlebars, accessories, lights, controls headlight, all wiring etc etc etc after buying the bike last July. This forum and YouTube all the way. Thank you everyone for this rich library of information. Don’t give up hope!

Attached Files:

Ryengoth, Uxbridge Brule and Jetfixer like this.
  16. XJ4/550

XJ4/550 New Member

Took the rear wheel off to get a new tyre put on and whilst I was there decided to remove the swing arm to clean off all the built up crud and check it's condition. Happy to say the swing arm is solid, so clean it up a bit more before a re paint !

17. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

5th application of coconut oil on the 1982 revitalized seat. It's feeling like new again. I think that cold pressed(virgin) coconut oil actually works better than the refined. I'm also using it on the petrified 1994 Saab seat covers since they are real leather. It appears to work well as a moisturizer for leather and also a plasticizer for vinyl coated fabric.

18. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Ordered some boots that go between the carbs and the engine, not looking forward to replacing them but I also want to ride... So here we go (I have no idea what i'm doing so this should be fun)

19. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Be careful removing the allen cap screws ,they have a tendency of snapping off.

Franz likes this.
  20. Danath256

Danath256 New Member

Oh no. That is def not something I want to do. Any suggestions? lots of penetrating oil?