1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Keeps Cranking - Even When No Keys Are In Ignition!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vanagon420, Feb 23, 2009.

1. vanagon420

vanagon420 New Member

:?: I just purchased a 1980 XJ650. The PO told me that he went to start it and the starter wouldn't stop cranking. Bike wouldn't start and it just ran the battery down. I added water to a few cells in the battery and charged it up. Sure enough, when I put the battery back in the bike the starter began cranking. I gave it some starter fluid, choked it, and the bike started up. I went for a 4 mile ride and when I turned the ignition off, the bike stopped running but the starter was cranking. I disconnected the battery to get it to stop.

I've been racking my brain to figure out where to begin my troubleshooting. The starter button doesn't feel to be stuck in. Is there something in the solenoid that is fused together? I'm having a hard time figuring out what would cause the bike to crank even with the ignition off and the keys out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Erich

2. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

Sounds like the starter solenoid is stuck on. That would make it keep cranking even when the ignition is off.

You can either buy a new standard one or get high amp relay to replace the solenoid (these are far cheaper but you'll need to do some wiring mods).

Good luck!

3. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Hillsy beat me to it.
    Give your solenoid a whack and it should stop,you will have to replace it, once they start doing that they keep sticking.

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Chacal has new solenoids

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Vanagon, be sure to purchase a starter rebuild kit while you are at it. Your starter is only supposed to be run for about 10-15 seconds before letting it cool off for a few minutes. I'm betting dollars to doughnuts you have a smoking starter that is on it's last legs.
    Disconnect the starter solenoid before re-attaching the battery. Reconnect the battery and measure for voltage on the downstream (starter) side of the solenoid. Disconnect the solenoid pigtail and measure again. Voltage after the pigtail is disconnected indicates the solenoid is welded closed. Voltage only if the pigtail is connected means your starter circuit is energized somewhere. Get the schematic and trace out the circuit.

6. vanagon420

vanagon420 New Member

Re: Starter Keeps Cranking - Even When No Keys Are In Igniti

Thank you to everyone for the guidance. I'll try to get to it this week and let you know what I found.

Erich

7. vanagon420

vanagon420 New Member

Re: Starter Keeps Cranking - Even When No Keys Are In Igniti

I ordered a new starter solenoid from Chacal. In the meantime I decided to take a peek inside my faulty solenoid. I chucked it up in a lathe and cut through the metal case. I found the contacts slightly welded together. I cleaned everything up and attempted to tack weld the case together (not a pleasant experience!). I finally got it barely holding together and then put tons of epoxy around the groove I cut with the lathe. I put it back on the bike and the starter didn't start cranking (yeah!!). However, when I hit the starter button I only hear a click but no starter turning over. I'm pretty sure that there is too much clearance between the contacts since I whored up the whole assembly. The good news is that the bike starts immediately when I short across the terminals with a screwdriver. It will get me by until early next week when my new solenoid gets here. I rode it to work today and got a tag for it.

Thank you to everyone for the help. So far, including the initial purchase price of the bike of $300 (which included a jacket, a helmet, gloves, and saddlebags), I am into the old girl for $430.00.

Not too shabby!!!

8. bill

bill Active Member

Wow great news. Not to worry you but be careful of used helmets. Any helmet that has been hit hard enough is no good. They also wear out with age, the foam gives out.

9. BuzzardBait2

BuzzardBait2 New Member

I have had the same problem. I solved mine by replacing the solinoid switch. Another possible cause is a short in the solinoid wireing.

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

Vanagon420, you could have saved yourself all the trouble by de-soldering the two contacts at the top of the case and unbolting the whole assembly. It is easier than it sounds, and you don't have to weld it back together!

11. Stephen Downey

Stephen Downey Member

i know its an old thread but i replaced my solonoid with acheap ebay solonoid for no real good reason to begin with, took the bike on the interstate for 40 min and when i parked at home it would not stop would not shut off and i was instantly very surprised and confusedo_O just wanted to share, i put the original back on, yes i know there was no reason to do that:p and so i realized these oem parts are pretty well made and reliable like some things i would replace on my car with a new part, for the bike i would feel safe replacing a yamaha part with another used yamaha part

12. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

13. hamed

hamed New Member

$5 starter solenoid and about 5 minutes of work fixed the problem. I would suggest upgrading your fuse box while you're at it.

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member