1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Coils going bad or Yamaha needs to warm up?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Suvoth, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Suvoth

Suvoth Member

Hey all! Long time no chat. Have a question for you all. I have a heck of a time starting up my bike. Let it warm up for a minute or two then go. Never fails me..in the first 10 mins, the bike will die. I mean everything, like it's an electric problem. Have to pull over to the side of the road, take a few minutes then I can start it back up and go. Yesterday, happened three times. However...once that first 10 mins is over, runs great! So here's my question, am I just not letting it warm up enough or is there something more sinister happening here? Someone said coils are failing but I thought that happened when the bike was too hot..when mine is hot, everything is golden. Thanks y'all!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You aren't letting it warm up enough.
    Keep the enrichment on until the engine speed climbs to 2ooo rpm, then back it off until it's at normal idle speed. At that point you can ride away under partial enrichment, and shut enrichment off once she's fully warm.

Franz, JetmechMarty and Suvoth like this.
  3. Suvoth

Suvoth Member

Thanks..was hoping just me being impatient! Lol

4. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Tell you what... and FWIW.
    There is a couple of connectors from the head to the harness under the tank, I personally had the issue where the bike would 'electrically' die every so often for no particular reason and damn hard to replicate.
    After going through much turmoil and pushing the bike away from traffic lights, I eventually tracked it down to a corroded wire dropping the connection at the brass connectors in the plug.

Now I'm on a mission to change every plug to a Deutsch waterproof plug.
    http://www.alanco.com.au/catalogue2/cat/2430.html

Suvoth likes this.
  5. Suvoth

Suvoth Member

Thanks, I'll have my mechanic friend check on that

6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Check your voltage at idle. It should be about 12.5 volts.
    I had the same problem you are having and once it warmed up--and the idle increased-- it ran fine.
    My idle voltage was less than 11.4 and sometimes the engine--when cold-- would shut off when I hit the brakes and drew a little more voltage. I replaced the alternator brushes and the idle voltage increased to about 12.5 and now the bike starts very easily and no more shut offs.

Suvoth likes this.
  8. Suvoth

Suvoth Member

So I am out and about today and let the bike warm up a good amount while I fiddled with this and that and no stops! Yay

9. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Scary. Wonder what "this or that" was "it"? At least you have an idea what tune to fiddle next time. :)

10. Suvoth

Suvoth Member

Lol sorry. This and that was motorcycle Gear, putting crap in my pockets, having a smoke yadda yadda