1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear shock question

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by vanone750, Aug 15, 2011.

1. vanone750

vanone750 Member

Can anyone tell me if it would be ok to put a shorter shock on the rear of my 1982 XJ750 Seca? Would it actually lower the rear end of the bike? I am trying to get it to sit about 2" lower. Will it affect my ride any? Any other suggestions out there to lower it? Thanks guys!

2. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Is it ok to do it? Well, I can't make that judgement. I put shorter shocks on my Maxim X and it was okay for me and I know many others have done the same.

Yes, it will change the handling characteristics of the bike, but not necessarily for the worse. I found my bike rode much better on shorter shocks, but that might be because I replaced the 25 yr old originals with some heavy-duty Progressives. Make sure you get good ones with an appropriate spring rate!

Other suggestions? Re-shape your seat. Put a 16" Maxim wheel on it. Platform shoes? ;-)

3. vanone750

vanone750 Member

O.K. I'll not go there with the platform shoes, I use to wear them in the 70's, giving away my ages aren't I. I stand flat footed with my work boots on but I want it to sit lower for comfort an looks both. 16" maxim wheel that sounds intriging. Out of curiosity do you know what size is on it now?

4. skillet

skillet Active Member

Couldn't afford progressives. I got a set of Suzuki Savage shocks that were in GREAT shape. Dropped the rear right at 2 1/2". I didn't want 2 different sized wheels. If you try something like this, just make sure you get a set that's not worn out :wink: ...

skillet

5. vanone750

vanone750 Member

Skillet I like your idea, I really don't want two different size tires either. Do you have a pic of the bike with the shocks on it. I have a stock fairing I just took off the bike if anyone is interested in buying it. I just took all the framing off as well, turn signals and all. Does anyone know the easiest way to hide all birds nest of wires, I'm gonna change to a round headlight.

6. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

I went the Savage route and they didn't work so good for me. Could be the geometry of the X or maybe the ones I got were a little worn out, but I found they could get a little squirrely in certain situations.

I couldn't afford Progressives either, but I lucked out on a set of 440's for a ridiculous price. Couldn't afford not to in the end...

7. vanone750

vanone750 Member

what in the length eye to eye on the savage 440's?

8. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The 440's are Progressive shocks.

Suzuki Savage shocks are approx 10.5 inches, eye-to-eye, IIRC...

9. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Seca 750 came with an 18" rear wheel; it is interchangeable with the Maxim's 16" rear wheel.

11. Kevin Dirksen

Kevin Dirksen New Member

Does anyone know the stock measurements of the Seca xj750 shocks? I bought a cafe racer and the tire rubs. I measured the shock and it’s 12.5 on the bike the shock has about 2” of travel which by calculations it’s about 1/8” from just touching. Figure I need a shock that’s about a 1/2” taller to clear.

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

12.5 sounds correct
    swing arm spec is 3.15 inch of travel

does tire rub bottom of seat?
    750r shock spec.PNG

you can see by this drawing fender is above frame that could be why it rubs
    seca fender.PNG

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

need to shape seat pan so it is higher (tunnel style) than tire travel. or put a maxim tire on it