1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Any tips on getting brake calipers apart for a rebuild?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dalpha22, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Dalpha22

Dalpha22 Member

I pulled the front brake system apart on my xj700 today. I have managed to get everything apart up until I tried to remove the bolts holding the caliper halves together.

They are so stuck together that I even set up the ratchet and caliper so that the end of the caliper and the end of my wrench were the only two points touching the ground and I stood on the caliper. I weigh 185 and this bolt still did not budge...

How do I get these darn things to break loose?

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

For split calipers, I usually crack those bolts while the whole assembly is still mounted on the bike. Then you can also use a cheater bar to make it easy.

However, if the bolt is really stuck, too much torque will strip it out. Usually those bolts are drilled through the caliper, so you can apply a penetrating lubricate to the bottom of the threads. I recommend Kroil. Take your time and let it work or you will strip the bolts.

Jetfixer, chacal and Franz like this.
  3. Dalpha22

Dalpha22 Member

Penetrating oil might be a good idea. I might just need to put them back on the bike though and loosen them there. I can't imagine why they would be stuck. There isn't a spec of rust on them.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Nothing was used during assembly. 80% of the space inside of a threaded hole (bolt in place) is air. Air contains moisture. Corrosion don't care about how the outside looks.

5. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

toss it in a bucket of paraffin for a couple of days - then impact (rattle) gun