1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can floats be not floaty enough?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JPaganel, Oct 6, 2019.

1. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

So, I have this freshly cleaned set of 600 carbs.

Put them on the bike, they leak out the vent tubes and carb throats.

I adjusted floats down (higher from the gasket surface). Still leak. Adjusted more. Still leak. Tube in the drain fills up way over the brim.

I took off the bowls and taped floats up. No leaks. So, it has to be the level. However, at this point the floats are something like 25mm above gasket, and needles are still not sealing.

I dropped a float in a cup of gasoline, it does float, but I don't know how far they should stick up just free floating. I don't think they are filling with gas, I don't feel any sloshing if I shake them, but it really seems like they are sinking more than they should. Is this possible somehow?

I really think I would have been less exasperated now if I started a FI conversion project on this thing.

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I've had brass floats leak and sink but sounds like you've already checked for gas in the floats. I had the same issue on my Mikuni's on my Kaw, no matter how much I adjusted the tang the carbs were still overflowing. I had the carbs restored by Wired George so no idea what he did to fix them unfortunately.

3. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Possibly the needle jets need either replaced or cleaned.
    Sometimes the film of inevitable crud that builds up can prevent them from seating properly.
    If you're lucky you might get away with twirling a cotton bud and some brass cleaner inside the jet body where the needle tip seats.. The needle tips might have a worn indentation ring in them, too. A worn ring usually won't seal at all, so replacement is the only solution.
    I notice you said they sealed when you had the floats taped up, so they're not too far off being sortable.

4. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Here is another interesting question - how deep should the needles be in the seats? These are deep enough, the little wire clip is about resting on the seat. Maybe the needles are wrong?

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

is the bottom pin still springing
    it is the same valve assembly as a 550

if the part is old it could be the orings are leaking

could be floats are hanging up try rapping the bowls when you fill them