1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Small Deflector for cold days

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Tim O, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Anyone ever try just a small deflector and was it good for anything? Something like this I would fabricate a somewhat hidden bracket for and it could be easily removed or folded down when not in use.
    upload_2019-11-28_11-52-6.png

I like the new Tracer 900 GT and the idea of their adjustable small windscreen and this would be an attempt at replicating it on a Seca750:
    upload_2019-11-28_11-54-50.png

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I had a small windscreen on my scooter (about 7"tall). It was really good for getting airflow up over ny shoulders, but theres no way it was helpful in keeping me warm in the winter. The Spitfire screen that I have on the Seca does a pretty fair job, but below 40ºF it's just not big enough for more than short in-town trips.

3. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Thanks K... that's what I was thinking. Just a little help for 30 min ride to work in the morning when it's 38. But not needed on the way home when it's 55.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Slap some heated hand grips on your bike, that is what really helps. I get that you want a wind screen on the front to help but for me, if the bikes don't come with them, the screens tend to change how the bike handles...a little. Passing larger vehicles on the road and side winds with a non OEM screen takes some getting used to. I find that if I keep my hands and feet warm I can drive those little trips with a good jacket and a full face helmet.

5. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Handlebar muffs....look like crap, but keep those digits warm , you can also 'make' hand/brushguards out of an ( old fashioned shape) detergent bottle, judicious cutting, drill small hole for clutch/brake lever bolt......you'd be surprised how even keeping some windchill off your digits will help, then you can ride summer gloves+ heated grips, if you have them....I recommend the removable Oxford Hot Hands type

For feet.....well, nowt works better than two or even three pairs of thin socks , unless you ride a Beemer, flat twin!!

6. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Thanks guys,
    I actually do have some muffs the PO gave me with the bike. I've been hesitant to try them. Honestly, they look to me like they will make me miss a grab on a lever or something, although I know that's pretty far fetched.
    They are a little old and I definitely had the "Look like crap" in mind too, but maybe I'll give them a shot one of these days soon. I've been using some decent ski gloves from Costco with good palm and finger grip. They are good for 20-25 minutes and the fingers start to get pretty cold with 3-4 miles to go.

I've found some fleece lined pants with thin rain pants (really thin, just to block wind) and my heavier jacket with a fleece underneath do most of the job. It's from mid-chest up and arms that get cold.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  7. robbo

robbo Member

fitted hand guards to my maxim using clutch and brake pivot bolts but you need to change bolts for longer ones.got the guards of ebay for 4 pounds,a bargain and no more cold hands.

8. kerriskandiesinc

If you worry about the muffs 'bending in' at speed, and possibly dragging the brake lever...which CAN happen, esp if they are old, judicious use of an old fashioned metal coat hanger bracket.....judiciously bent, can alleviate that problem...cartainly upto 100 mph + !!

But yes, if you go the muffs route smaller, thinner gloves are a must for 'muff/hand' coordination, and honestly are all you would need.......well, possibly if you suffer from Renauds<??, a pair of heated grips
    In 15+ Winters I had NEVER seen a (UK) motorcycle courier riding without muffs, lol !!

9. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

Heated grips are nice, had them on my old ninja 650. They worked pretty good coupled with insulated gloves

Tim O likes this.
  10. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Best handlebar heaters I ever had (still got 'em on the GS) were bar inserts from a geezer who moved to NZ and carried on making them from there.
    Can't get them any more, but some snowmobile inserts are almost exactly the same, and reasonably priced, too.
    They take longer to heat up, but you can feel them within a couple of miles.
    Polly bar heaters, this for example... (read the reviews)
    https://www.amazon.com/Polly-Heater...000GU5LPS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

A current stockist is...
    https://www.btosports.com/adventure-dual-sport/polly-handlebar-heaters
    The only difficulty is that many bikes with internal bar weights will need them removed and some bikes like the XJ9 simply don't have the internal room for them. For ordinary bars they're excellent. I got thoroughly fed up replacing Oxford grips every year because they'd wear out and break with the 3-season mileage and when I really needed them in the winter they'd be busted.

Getting back to the air deflector question of the PO, I recently got one from ali-x to extend the height of the fairing screen by a couple of inches.
    It certainly works, I can feel the difference.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  11. kerriskandiesinc

I remember bar inserts, they were rumored to be much more durable than 'regular' heated grips
    these do tend to break, thats why the wrap around-removable type...Oxford Hot hands fare a little better