1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Did I get the wrong valve cover gasket?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dalpha22, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Dalpha22

Dalpha22 Member

I adjusted the valves on my xj700 and replaced the valve cover gasket as well as the donuts.

It leaked...so I took it off, added rtv, and put back on....it leaks worse.
    Then I noticed two machined holes in the rear of the engine block that match the cover. Yet, the gasket does not extend to these holes...

Could I have the wrong gasket? Is this likely the source of my leak?

IMG_20191209_155520208.jpg

IMG_20191209_155528419.jpg

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No, those holes make no difference, they are not open to the inside of the head/oil system.

Where on the gasket does the leak seem to appear to be coming from? These large valvecover gaskets can get dislodged and slightly "twisted" during the install of the valvecover; we always recommend using some type of tacky adhesive to secure the gasket to the valvecover so it won't displace during handling.

In the 2nd (bottom) picture, it appears that the small "raised rib" in the gasket is facing away from the valvecover itself; I don't think that is correct (but, I don't have one in my hands as I type this). I believe that the raised rib on the gasket fits into a matching, machined recess in the valvecover itself, acting as an "alignment pin" of sorts.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Try Yamabond ,"glue" gasket on to the valve cover ,let this set up , apply some grease to the head and install cover , put all the fasteners in place with just a few turns each , tighten slightly from back to front working to side , I dont recall the final torque, but manual should list it. In case you wondered why grease on head , this will keep gasket from sticking in case you have to remove.

Dalpha22 likes this.
  4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

RTV is not my choice for attaching the valve cover gaskets. Looks like the gasket slipped out of the groove in the cover, that looks to be the leak source.
    Yamabond works well, I typically use contact cement to glue in the gasket. Its quick and holds the gasket in very well . You won't have and gasket slip out like RTV.
    Once the gasket is securly glued into the valve cover just bolt it on, no RTV needed.

Where in Raleigh are you? I'm In Apex

5. Dalpha22

Dalpha22 Member

Thanks for the reply! I suspect that the first leak was coming from the half moons. I found what was causing the leak the second time (which was actually much worse than it was before). The gasket had ripped at some point, maybe it slipped and was pinched, I'm not sure. Anyways, I do have it positioned correctly with the ridge in the machined groove of the head.

The appearance of slippage is due to it moving when I removed it the second time. Mostly because it was glued to the head with rtv so it stuck in place.

I got my hands on a new gasket and I'm going to give this another shot once it stops raining. Wish me luck that it seals this time...

6. Dalpha22

Dalpha22 Member

I'm about 20/30 minutes from Apex. I don't want to be too specific on a public forum. Send me a DM if you know some good roads in the area! I'm new to riding.