1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cleaning outside of engine

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Craig middlemore, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Craig middlemore

Craig middlemore Member

Hi guys , I have an xj550 maxim and she has seen beter days and I want to bring her back to life, what’s best to use on the engine and casing to give them there shine back , cheers Craig form uk

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

For cleaning I use simple green and a stiff brush. That’ll get the grease and dirt off and restore whatever shine is left.

The aluminum parts such as side covers etc. are polished and clear coated, to restore those you’ll need to (ideally)remove the part, remove the clear coat, and buff.

cgutz likes this.
  3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

What Jayrodoh said. I use a toothbrush on hard to get areas after a simple green treatment. Don't let simple green stay too long. Some paints it will mar and dissolve. Simple green is used by hobbyists to strip paint off old items...it also took the paint off of our Maytag clothes washer when my wife sprayed clothing with simple green and let the spray settle on the outside of the cabinet.

Don't use a powerwasher, it gets water where it shouldn't be....

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

use site search it will give you all kinds of aluminim polishing technics.

I use wd 40 and wet dry sand paper 800 grit for scratches then go finer for the mirror finnish

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member